Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Defined by what I wear?

Quick thoughts this morning:

Are we truly defined by what we wear?

I am confronted with this issue every time we leave the house and I see my darling children romping around in dirty mis-matched clothes and I tell them to change.  Every time I look at my wardrobe and try to decide: good, better, best...how do I want to be defined?

Yes, we represent Jesus Christ.

Yes, we represent "large families."

Yes, we represent "homeschoolers."

And I feel that we should take care of our bodies and our resources.  But how much of today's social mandates of dress are based in truth?

As Avot was getting ready to enter the mission field, she was told that she needed to bring and use at least a light layer of make-up. I struggled with this. I was obedient and didn't say too much, but have thought about it ever since.

Every time I go to church or when I used to prep for videos, I have to make that decision: make-up or not? With the underlying question, does it really affect my worth?

No.  It doesn't.  So why do we do it?

It is interesting how there are different stereotypes about Mormons, about large families, about homeschoolers that center around appearance, from horns to disarray to mismatched "floods" :).  Our appearance does send a message, unfortunately, and I am aware of that and do put in some effort to represent our communities as well as we can.

But I just cannot keep telling my daughters that they should change their clothes because it doesn't match.  I cannot tell my children you are defined by what you wear.  Having lived in different economic areas and levels even within my own life, I recognize that there is a point where a certain "flair" to clothing is not realistic.  I have seen people come to church in Hungary with grungy sweats and humble hearts.  I have seen the pictures of the beautiful people of Ethiopia clothed in rags.

Are they defined by who they are?

"They don't have the resources to have more, so it is okay for them," we may be tempted to say.

Well, if it okay for them to not be defined by what they wear, if it is okay for us to see beyond the outside to the radiance within, why not with us?  It just seems that there are just other things that are more important to spend our time and money on.

When I complained to a friend about the burden of "style" or my craving for a simple acceptable social garb similar to the Amish, they said, "Well, simplicity fits you...it is just your style."

Is it? Is it who I am? 

I know there is a big rage about "dress your nature." I guess if we want to make our clothing a definition of who we are then that is the way to go, but do we really need to bother with matching? :)  When there is a choice to be made, when new clothes are needed to replace the old ones, it is good to have some kind of standard or guideline, I agree.

Image result for image of potter at workThere are also different uniforms suited to different situations. I love my recent reading through the series "Remembering Isaac" with the kids, as the potter wears his grubbies and his powder everywhere!  Perhaps I need to just popularize the "homeschooling, large-family, Mormon" image as a positive thing, not a image of desperation or lack of resources or inclination :).

I agree that being well-groomed and clean as far as we can is important.  Our clothes need not be soiled nor in disrepair if at all possible, but even then...does that define who we are?

I believe there is a certain peace that comes with order, cleanliness and repair but I guess this whole mental debate came more to the forefront of my mind when I heard a missionary say something like, "Heaven cannot possibly be filled with just white clothes: my clothes define who I am."

Still musing.  Still pausing before we walk out the door.  Still shuddering as I see my sweet children judged for their fun selections of clothes.  Living in the world but not of the world is certainly a fine line.  Perhaps it boils down to that.

Why do we wear what we wear?  To be a better representative of Christ or of goodness? To get attention, to fit in, to be recognized on some level of suave or coolness :)?  Perhaps that is the question we must ask ourselves--why am I dressed this way-- and then move forward with our decision and not worry about what others think.

I just think we stress a little too much about appearances and what we wear.  Then again, maybe that is just me...and this is not the right answer for others...

I think of Mother Theresa, of Ghandi, of the Amish.  Perhaps there is something we are missing.  Perhaps not.  Just musing...


1 comment:

  1. Angie: Perhaps the clothes we wear do not define who we are in God's eye (in fact, I'm sure they don't) BUT who we are in our own eyes and how we feel about ourselves in relation to others. If you take out economic factors supposing we all had sufficient means to clothes ourselves adequately and appropriately I do think our clothes do tell something about ourselves. Funny you mention this topic, I was at Palmyra looking at the beautiful paintings of Christ in the Hill Cumorah visitor center and one of the paintings with just the Savior depicted stood out to me. What stood out? His beautiful creamy, white robe radiating light and flowing gently to the ground. I wondered to myself, "how would it be if we all dressed in beautiful, clean, flowing garments that radiated and reflected light and goodness?" --Thanks for sharing, Angie! Love those thoughts!

    ReplyDelete