Monday, August 8, 2011

The Great and Abominable...school?

After months of joking around about the junior high being built across the street, months of feeling just a bit miffed at the "great and spacious building" that replaced the idyllic view we had before of pasture and silo, months of grumbling to neighbors about all the hassle, noise, and dirt that has kicked up from the construction, I have come to a decision...

...but let me go back a little!

Last Sunday in church, we were taking the opportunity to introduce ourselves since we just split our ward. My neighbors took the chance to voice their extreme discontent about the junior high and I was able to hear how bitter and selfish it sounded. Sure, it has been a hassle, but the area really needs it and there really isn't a very good place for it.

So, my decision, stop grumbling and look for the good side! My kids have a sidewalk to ride and walk on instead of the side of the road; we have fields to play on; my kids can catch Seminary and Orchestra if we want to when they get to that age; and...well, that's about all I can think about for me, but the benefits to most of our community far outweigh my little inconveniences.

And isn't that what living in a society is all about? Tolerance of what is tolerable, finding the good in what we can, and picking our battles for those that really matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment