Friday, April 19, 2013

Adversity from the Perfect Mentor

I had a conversation years ago with Michele Smith, an amazing woman and treasured "voice in my head" :).  We were on our way to a TJEd training, and I was lamenting that I didn't have a mentor.  She turned to me and said something like, "Mary, of course you have a mentor.  God is our ultimate Mentor, and He is the one you should always look to first."  So, through the years, I have turned to Him in my own imperfect way, seeking His guidance, and seeing the fruit of what He is doing with my life.

However, today, my perspective on this mentoring relationship took on new meaning.

This morning in my brief "studies" (the few minutes I took while nursing my baby--sneak it in while I can, right?), I opened up my topic study book to the page of "Adversity."  I read the scripture in Isaiah 30:20 which states:
20 And though the Lord give you the bread of aadversity, and the water of affliction, yet shall not bthy teachers be removed into a corner any more, but thine eyes shall see thy cteachers:

 Underneath it, I had this note: "The Lord gives us adversity and affliction; we need our eyes to be the teachers in those times."  Funny.  I think I often tell myself that God Himself doesn't afflict us;  He simply allows the agency of man to afflict us.

Hmmm...

As I mulled upon this new thought, I had an ah-ha!  The mentor/student relationship is one where the mentor is where the student wants to go, and the student agrees to submit themselves to what the mentor demands of them...and sometimes, it is hard.  The mentor sees what the student is capable of, sees where they need to go, and, if the student is willing to go the distance, they can have what the mentor has.


I want to be where Heavenly Father is, and that will require some stretching, some pushing. and some changing.  Some hurting.  Sometimes, He may just give me affliction, knowing it is just what I need to grow right then, just like a loving mentor would to their student.

When I discussed this with my mom, she pointed out that she believes that we saw some of the tests we would go through before we came to earth.  My mind took a whole new direction with this thought...If this is true, coming to earth would be much like starting a course with a mentor, who hands out the assignments and outlines the course material.  We think at the beginning, "No problem!  I can work this in."

Then reality hits.  Mid-semester we are struggling...putting in some late nights for those big tests.  We form study groups and study alone.  We get sick, we let other things get in the way of what we know we must do to pass this course, we fail quizes and fall short on assignments...and still the mentor is there, showing the way.

Our Mentor is the perfect mentor.  He will always be there.  He has his office open at all hours and at all times.  He has student aids to help, and outside class sessions to strengthen, sustain, and teach us.  He gives us individualized attention and course work to best suit our needs and abilities...no two course works are the same! (Hey!  Epiphany about how this reinforces how senseless it is for us to "compare" or "compete" our way to "the end...love it!)

And the cool thing about this course?  If we try our best, and turn our hearts in His direction, His Son, our Elder Brother is there for the end of the exams, which is this life, to make up for what we lack.

Bread of adversity...water of affliction...How beautiful that He also uses that imagery for the sanctifying act that renews our covenants to submit to His mentoring and cleanses us anew each Sabbath day!  Adversity, like the sacrament, can be very sanctifying; and both can only be sanctifying if we choose to let them work that change within us.
Bread and Water by Steve Lyon-Bowes
So, to wrap my thoughts up,  why do bad things happen to good people?  Many reasons, I am sure, but sometimes, those good people just need to be better, perhaps.

Thank goodness for those group study session, weekly renewal, and endless office hours...and all available without appointment :).  Most of all, I am so grateful for the Perfect Mentor.

No comments:

Post a Comment