Friday, April 5, 2013

The symphony that is my life...

Listen to this while you read :)...it's more fun that way.

 This morning, on the way to grocery shopping once again :), I was practicing my hungarian.  Every little bit helps, right?  As I did, I thought about my friend Rachel that I met here, who has been a blessing to me with her inspiration and advice about learning languages (she has quite the knack, after many, many years of dedicated study of languages). 

I thought, "What a blessing that our paths could cross, if even for just a short while."

That made me think about all the "little intersections" of my paths with the paths of others that have so blessed my life.  "It's like a symphony," I thought, "with all the little notes making it beautiful!" 

That got me thinking about how Heavenly Father is the conductor, and how amazing it is that He can guide and direct so many people in so many lives to be there right when they need them. I reflected on the many people that are the "notes" in the beautiful symphony that is my life and, on that beautiful misty morning walk, I gave thanks.



Some parts of my life are more like the fast movements; some are slower; and some, yes, are minor...and it made me smile thinking of how much I enjoy minor, melancholy music, but not minor, melancholy life  :).

And that got me thinking about a quote from Elder Uchtdorf at the last conference:
Doesn’t it seem foolish to spoil sweet and joyful experiences because we are constantly anticipating the moment when they will end?
Do we listen to beautiful music waiting for the final note to fade before we allow ourselves to truly enjoy it? No. We listen and connect to the variations of melody, rhythm, and harmony throughout the composition.
 Thank you, all you wonderful people, that make up the beautiful symphony that is my life...

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful. This reminds me of what I read recently in Emma Lou Thayne's autobiography about paying attention.

    "We are our stories — dozens, hundreds, thousands of them — sprayed cross our memories, embedded in our identity. Calling them up for others or for ourselves or for God, can enlighten, crush, amuse, trap, or free us, depending on how we pay attention. Once when I talked with a daughter on how we pay attention, that any life could be richer for being examined, she said: 'Mother, don't you know that 90 percent of us live 99 percent of the time simply in the experience? In all the rush, who has the time even for the inclination, let alone the chance, ever to do more? Oh, would I love to.' " "The Place of Knowing" - p 239

    In the same chapter, she tells of the time she spent in the room at night watching over a baby granddaughter, and gave such a lovely description.

    We really do need to pay attention to what is around us and who we are. It is something I need to work on.

    Thank you. - Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful thinking about Heavenly Father being the conductor, and it definitely is amazing when he sends in an "instrument" to aid our symphony. In His hands, it's always perfect.

    This made me think of a few things you might enjoy relating to your symphony.

    Knowing your world isn't always in harmony either... :)
    http://stillswinging.blogspot.com/2010/01/dissonance-and-harmony.html

    On Being Conductors (especially the very end - I blogged a bit about this one too).
    www.ted.com/index.php/talks/benjamin_zander_on_music_and_passion.html

    ReplyDelete