Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Do we trust Him enough?


I have been so blessed by the following article from the March 2013 Ensign, titled, "The Enabling Power of the Atonement"!
A few days ago I was, quite frankly, very miffed.  I was at my dad and mom's house, wanting to enjoy them, and my baby just wouldn't go to sleep! I lay down to nurse him, thinking, "maybe I'll sneak a nap in, at least" and then, with his fidgiting and fussing, I couldn't even do that!  Injustice :).  I know, irrational, but that was where I was at.  Feeling abused and picked on, I moodily grabbed the Ensign on the floor, to get my mind off of things and read the following: 
Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said, “I suspect that [we] are much more familiar with the nature of the redeeming power of the Atonement than we are with the enabling power of the Atonement.”1 He suggested that most of us understand that Christcame to earth to die for us, to pay the price for our sins, to make us clean, to redeem us from our fallen state, and to enable every person to be resurrected from the dead.
But, Elder Bednar said, “I frankly do not think many of us ‘get it’ concerning [the] enabling and strengthening aspect of the Atonement, and I wonder if we mistakenly believe we must make the journey from good to better and become a saint all by ourselves through sheer grit, willpower, and discipline, and with our obviously limited capacities.”2
I thought, how true is this!  Here I am, struggling in my heart between wanting to be a nice mommy and wanting to strengthen family relationships and confronted with my sheer ornery-ness, and do I turn to Him?

Fine, I thought.  I'll take it to Him. (Unfortunately, my attitude was more challenging than faithful, but there you have it!)  I did a silent prayer and said, "I'm pretty grumpy right now, and can't seem to be a nice person on my own.  Can you help me?"

Peace.

Wow.

I put down the article and went on, enjoying the miracle.

This morning, I picked it up again and was stunned by the following:

On the eve of Jesus Christ’s suffering in Gethsemane, He issued this benediction to His disciples: “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. … Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:27). Of this invitation, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said, “[This] may be one of the Savior’s commandments that is,...
Whoa!  I thought.  "Commandment?"  But if an apostle of the Lord said it was so, it must be so...I read on:
“[This] may be one of the Savior’s commandments that is, even in the hearts of otherwise faithful Latter-day Saints, almost universally disobeyed; and yet I wonder whether our resistance to this invitation could be any more grievous to the Lord’s merciful heart.

And then this last part struck me to the core:
Elder Holland added, “I am convinced that none of us can appreciate how deeply it wounds the loving heart of the Savior of the world when he finds that his people do not feel confident in his care or secure in his hands.3

Wow.  Do I feel confident and secure in his hands?  Am I wounding His loving heart by not trusting Him enough?  Good food for thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment