Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Who to blame...

Laying awake a couple of nights ago, my thoughts were churning.  I was just plain negative.

Turning on my side, I did something I never do...I turned on my phone in the middle of the night. I needed to snap myself out of this negative cycle and for some reason turned to the phone.  (I avoid this because it would become an easy habit for me to do and I feel it would add to my insomnia.)

As I was cleaning up my emails, I ran across the following article:
http://stephendpalmer.com/power-assumptions/

I loved his approach to assumptions and how fundamental a concept it is.   From basic math to the colors we identify, so much of what we believe in and do are based upon assumptions, assumptions that we take for granted. 

However, the "ownership" part at the end of the article slugged me in the stomach.  I am responsible for my attitude.  am responsible for my feelings of loneliness. I am responsible for oh so much.  Laying away at night, I felt all the excuses and blaming that I had been repeating to myself being stripped away to the bare realization of choice...of my ownership.

Sigh.  It is so much easier to blame.   Alas, for the natural man.

(Another great article I just came across by the same man, "The Right To Complain" adds additional interesting insight: http://stephendpalmer.com/complaint-principle/)

No comments:

Post a Comment