Monday, January 5, 2015

Finding a measure of peace

It has been an interesting journey so far, but I have found some peace...ahhhh, joyful peace.

The Savior offers peace, not as the world giveth peace, which is how I was seeking it.

I found a measure as I listened to the following talk:

I was particularly struck by the following part:
What are the sources of peace? Many search for peace in worldly ways, which never have and never will succeed. Peace is not found by attaining great wealth, power, or prominence.22 Peace is not found in the pursuit of pleasure, entertainment, or leisure. None of these can, even when attained in abundance, create any lasting happiness or peace.
Emma Lou Thayne’s beloved hymn asks the appropriate questions: “Where can I turn for peace? Where is my solace when other sources cease to make me whole?”23 The answer is the Savior, who is the source and author of peace. He is the “Prince of Peace.”24
How do we stay close to the Savior? Humbling ourselves before God, praying always, repenting of sins, entering the waters of baptism with a broken heart and contrite spirit, and becoming true disciples of Jesus Christ are profound examples of the righteousness that is rewarded by abiding peace.
 Daily or even hourly repenting when those negative, unhealthy thoughts come to mind has been a balm.  For some reason, I had convinced myself subconsciously that I needed to "fix it" and then repent...and then it would be conquered.  I keep doing that!  To turn to the Savior, needing Him and seeking His power every moment I need it has been humbling but has brought a measure of peace I have not felt for a long time.  I can seek to obey commandments and repent and strive...those are things I can do, even if I do not feel that I have the emotional control and mental control that seems to be slipping and gone :).

No comments:

Post a Comment