Friday, September 2, 2016

Power of Prayer

Image result for image of person praying I had a really cool experience last Sunday in church. The theme was charity and the Goob, Sister Pace and Bishop Georgia all spoke. Quinn chose the hymns and they were beautiful, going right along with the theme. I was asked to give the closing prayer, so I extracted myself from the craziness in a remarkable moment of quiet and went up to the front of the room.  

The Spirit came over me and it was as if I felt the Lord directing me what to pray. I prayed that our ward would reach out with charity and also be charitable to those who were trying their best to serve, that we might all see each other as God sees us. I don't remember the specifics, but the Spirit was SO strong.  It was crazy.  I walked away from the pulpit, a little overwhelmed, and the Stake President leaned over me to say, "Sometimes, all the talks and the music of the meeting are just the prelude to a prayer.  Thank you."  Powerful experience.  

I wasn't going to post this. I am leery of posting things like this, lest it seem like I am tooting my own horn.  But the Spirit came over me as I reviewed this entry in my private journal this morning and the words of two scriptures came to mind:

"Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father in Heaven."

Alma 26:
"10 And it came to pass that when Ammon had said these words, his brother Aaron rebuked him, saying: Ammon, I fear that thy joy doth carry thee away unto boasting. 11 But Ammon said unto him: I do not aboast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my bjoy is full, yea, my heart is brim with cjoy, and I will rejoice in my God. 12 Yea, I know that I am anothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will bnot boast of myself, but I will cboastof my God, for in his dstrength I can do all ethings; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
Image result for image of mountain
I glorify God!  I know that any good thing that comes from me originates from Him.  The prayer was not powerful because of my own ability, but because of Him and apparently He wants other people to  know the power of a prayer...any prayer.  Opening, closing, personal, public.  "Pray with all the energy of heart..."  The power of prayer is not because of us or our personal worthiness.  When we are giving prayers in church and we realize we are speaking in behalf of a congregation and giving voice to their desires and needs, it can be incredible.  You don't need to think of what to say before hand.  Listen with your heart and the Spirit will move you to say what to say.

Doubt yourself? So did Enoch:
Moses 6:
27 And he heard a avoice from heaven, saying: bEnoch, my son, cprophesy unto this people...
31 And when Enoch had heard these words, he abowedhimself to the earth, before the Lord, and spake before the Lord, saying: bWhy is it that I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad, and all the people chate me; for I am dslow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant? 
 32 And the Lord said unto Enoch: Go forth and do as I have commanded thee, and no man shall pierce thee. Open thy amouth, and it shall be filled, and I will give thee utterance, for all flesh is in my hands, and I will do as seemeth me good. 
 33 Say unto this people: aChoose ye bthis day, to serve the Lord God who made you.
 34 Behold my aSpirit is upon you, wherefore all thy words will I justify; and the bmountains shall flee before you, and the crivers shall turn from their course; and thou shalt abide in me, and I in you; therefore dwalk with me. 
Bang goes that excuse.

The power of prayer.

Let me share a personal story that has changed my feelings about the power of our songs and prayers in our worship.

Many years ago, I found myself on the way to a YW Presidency training in Salt Lake City.  I felt a strange impression: "You are going to be a part of the presentations today."  Shocked, I thought of many reasons why I wouldn't be.  "Yah, right," I scoffed.  "They have these things planned out months in advance."  Again, the thought came, and this time that I was to be a part of the music.  I felt directed to look into the hymn book to the right of me, with the question on my mind: if I were to pick a hymn, which one would it be?

I came to "Abide with Me" and wept as I read the verses.  "Yes," I told myself.  "I would pick this one."
Image result for image of nature in evening
1. Abide with me! fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens. Lord, with me abide!
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, oh, abide with me!
2. Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day.
Earth's joys grow dim; its glories pass away.
Change and decay in all around I see;
O thou who changest not, abide with me!
The third verse in particular struck me.
3. I need thy presence ev'ry passing hour.
What but thy grace can foil the tempter's pow'r?
Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Thru cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me!
"Yes," I told myself.  "I would pick this one."

I got to the meeting and joined the masses as we shuffled to our different classes.  We were able to choose which one and I selected one on using music and prayer in our meetings more effectively.  I have always loved music and do drifted that way.  However, due to the sheer number of people, I was one of the last ones who tried to fit into the room.  There were people standing around the room because all the seats were filled, in a room which was easily larger than most stake center chapels when they are opened up in the back.  Someone saw me in my predicament with a sleeping baby in a car seat burden and offered me the very back corner seat in the room.

As soon as I sat down, an announcement came over the podium that because of the fire code: everyone who didn't have a seat needed to leave.  The person that had just given up their seat for me assured me I was fine and left with everyone else.  When the noise of departure faded and the doors were closed, the presenter got up to the podium to announce the program outline for that class.

I don't remember her exact words, but she stated that we underestimate the significance of our opening and closing songs and prayers.  I distinctly remember the next part.

"I don't know who is going to give the prayer today, nor do I know what song we are going to sing.  However, the Spirit has touched someone in this room to know which song to sing and someone has been touched to know that they are to be the voice for all of us in prayer."

My stomach hit the floor.  No,  I thought.  It couldn't be me. 

The room was filled with thoughtful silence.  After a few moments someone in the front raised their hand and said something about liking a particular song.  The presenter said...no.  "Someone has been touched by the Spirit as to what the song is going to be."  Gasp, I thought.  What if I am wrong too?

The moments stretched to probably a full minute which, when you are waiting in a situation like that, feels like forever.  I think I knew that I needed to raise my hand, but surely?  Here?  Me? In the very back of the classroom with baby now in my arms?

Slowly I raised my hand.  I don't know what I was hoping for...that someone else's hand would shoot up? I lacked confidence and raising my hand in a big room like that took more courage than I thought I had.  But I knew that I had to at least try.  It was the same churning inside that happened when I knew I needed to bear my testimony.

When she called on me, (remember, very back corner across a room full of hundreds of people) I tentatively said, "I think our hymn is 'Abide With Me,' hymn 166."

"Yes," the presenter said after a thoughtful pause, "And there was a particular verse, wasn't there?"

Tears filled my eyes as I nodded.

"Verse 3."

I have not forgotten the power that filled that room as we sang verse 3 of "Abide With Me."
I need thy presence ev'ry passing hour.
What but thy grace can foil the tempter's pow'r?
Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Thru cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me!
Image result for image of nature in evening
The prayer that followed was simple and fulfilling and the meeting had the most powerful beginning of any meeting I have experienced before or since.

When we approach the fulfilling of the responsibility of deciding the hymns or prayers for a meeting, may we reflect on the often un-tapped potential that lies within music and prayer.  Follow the Spirit.  Ahhh...the peace that it brings!

Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Thru cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me...

2 comments:

  1. I love that story, have heard you tell it before. I wonder if I was there, but more up front. Cheryl Lant (future General Primary President) jogged through listening to a primary song to practice.

    The other thing I was going to mention, in the last couple of days I both listened to and read a talk by President Eyring called "Prayer" (October 2001). Powerful. The one right after on the atonement is amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check it out! Laying here sick, so that will be nice to sit and listen to. Thanks!

      Delete