Sunday, March 10, 2019

Sunday Thoughts: An over-fixer?

Today was a quieter day.  A Sabbath day.

I was told to "wait on the Lord" the other day at the temple.  And then, as God so often does, He sent me an object lesson.

Near us in our session at the temple was a busy and well-intending woman.
"Are you planning on...?" she whispered loudly at one point, trying to figure out the best way to have us seat ourselves.
"I think that man has his clothing on incorrectly," she fretted at one point and let a few people know (including the young man) until it was rectified.
And a few other items just had to be mentioned during the session.

While I could see the goodness and good intent of this woman in her solicitous-ness, I also recognized that she had broken the worshipfulness of the moment.  I didn't resent her. I could see her heart was so good and well-intending.  I just noticed the disruption and pondered on it.

Today during the sacrament, her example came to mind.   Sometimes fixing things "because it will just make everything better" actually disturbs what is actually supposed to be happening.  None of the problems the woman was trying to avert or fix would have taken as long or were as distracting as what she was doing to fix it.

I am good at doing it.  In being laser focused on everything that I could do to prevent or fix things, I often disrupt the very thing I want to have happen:
-kids developing experience and personal growth
-students having an inspiring environment
-having a discussion in a class that is uplifting and edifying.
Image result for image of pulling up plant to check roots

So often I look around with that discerning eye to see what is wrong before it happens...kind of like pulling up the little tree or plant to check the roots and see how their growing.

Psalm 26-ish, last verse: Wait upon the Lord.  Mary, you can do it.   Take a deep breath.  See the waves around you, know that He cares if we perish or not, and let me fear not and let Him still the storm when it is necessary.
Image result for image of Christ stilling the storm

No comments:

Post a Comment