Sunday, June 4, 2023

Letting God Harmonize My Life

 My oldest son threw out this question today in a Messenger chain:

Consecration is the giving of one’s time, talents, and means to care for those in need—whether spiritually or temporally—and in building the Lord’s kingdom
Enter

Is there a way that you have found to balance all of these responsibilities? Church service, work, family, service, etc.

It was kind of crazy that he would ask that question just then because moments previous I had found myself storming around in my mind and in body, feeling overwhelmed with how much seemed to be piling up on me--especially when I am trying so hard to really own my life and prioritize to feel peace. How come I seem so busy? Why does it seem like as much as I try to let go, there are still those areas crying for at me for attention?

As I took the time to ponder Kel's question of "balance" it reminded me of an epiphany I had experienced in recent months.  Grateful for his reminding question, I replied:

I like to think of the word "harmonize" our responsibilities. Sometimes the harmony is an epic culmination, a dissonant transition, even a solo.

But I think I get stressed feeling like an the different parts of my life need equal attention-- like if I'm really focusing on getting the garden in, it must mean my ministering or Primary responsibilities are being neglected. Maybe it's just time to count measures of resting (like trumpeters in a symphony so often do).
The mental idea of harmonizing our stewardships (co-conducting with God or those times when He leads our lives through the tricky spots personally), allows for peace, knowing that with prayerful mindfulness, we can take care of what we can do, harmonizing current important parts and leaving some things for when "that part of the song" comes.

As I pondered how much I like to do in on my own--the way I usually like to "conduct my symphonies"-- I was reminded of Mickey Mouse in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" and how doing it on his own ended for him.

I had an opportunity today to consider what it means to let God either lead or at least be in the partnership. Today is Sunday, the Sabbath of my faith. I was recently reminded of this commandment as I listened to Abinadi preach to the people of King Noah in Mosiah 13:

16 Remember the asabbath day, to keep it holy.

17 Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work;

18 But the seventh day, the sabbath of the Lord thy God, thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy man-servant, nor thy maid-servant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates;

19 For in asix days the Lord made heaven and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is; wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

As I listened, I was struck with the phrase "thy work."  What is my work?  Instantly my brain was spammed and overwhelmed with my diverse tasks--which I could list, but the point is that we all have those.


Do I truly rest from my work on the Sabbath?

What blessings am I missing out on by not truly submitting to God's instruction to rest from my work?

What does it look like to rest from my work?

Do I let God lead?

Do I look to Him for guidance in how to not only harmonize my life but find the beauty in the symphony that plays out--the fast parts and slow, the dark parts and light?


"Sometimes we think that to be happy, we need to not have a load."--Ironic line from a video we just watched...what a great and powerful connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment