Monday, April 23, 2012

Beautiful quote from Lord of the Rings

I am so grateful that I read the actual book for the movie.  I had never finished it before, despite my multiple attempts earlier.  The characters are so true and noble or so wicked and devious...the contrast is evident.  One of the last quotes I treasured from it (among many!) was worth sharing:

It comes from near the end, as Aragorn leads his small troops against Mordor as a distraction from the quest of the ring bearer: "We must walk open-eyed into that trap, with courage, but small hope for ourselves;...it may well prove that...we shall not live to see a new age.  But this, I deem, is our duty, And better so than to perish...if we sit here,...and know as we die that no new age shall be."

I believe it is this type of courage is what our founding fathers and mothers had as they faced impossible odds in winning our freedom.  This is the type of courage that has protected freedom through the ages, from Thermopylae in ancient Greece to the modern-day Battle of Britain.  I hope that I will have such courage, even when the odds seem impossibly against me. :)  What a great book!

No comments:

Post a Comment