Thursday, May 17, 2012

Amazing, amazing, AMAZING book!!

On our way back from Goblin Valley last week on a family camping trip, I popped in the book, "Teach as though your hair is on fire" (or something close to that) by a teacher by the first name of Rafe.  He teaches in downtown LA, and has since 1984.  He has won numerous teaching and arts awards for his style and classroom, and I was transformed as I listened to his advice.  He is down-to-earth, funny (my 10 and 14 year old loved it!--at least the first CD), and incredibly wise. 

Among other things, he talks about the six levels of motivation (from lowest to highest): fear, reward, praise, it is "the rule", to be considerate of others, and because it is the right thing. 

For parenting, teaching, living I highly recommend this as a book with principles that are true about interactions with others, particularly students and children, and in looking at our own lives.

And, for my dear Sister Rausch, one of his favorite books is "To Kill a Mockingbird", for its examples of the six levels. 

The Goob and Kelrazor and I have been able to discuss the six levels as we encounter characters in the scriptures, in books, and in movies, and it is eye-opening...especially when applied to ourselves :).  I have found myself thinking a great deal about the foundation of trust he mentions that is crucial in his class (along with some examples both from himself and fellow teachers about how trust is lost), his advice for exciting learning, and how he treats his students.

EXCELLENT BOOK!!  A must-read/hear for everyone...in my humble opinion :)...

No comments:

Post a Comment