Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Angel's eyes

One thing I have started doing again is sketching.  It is calming and it is something I like to do while listening to my morning talk from General Conference to get my day going on a better note.

I especially love to sketch pictures of people I love, using as models pictures that capture their heart and personality.  I like to start with the eyes, for I truly believe that the eyes are windows to a person's soul.  As I started my most recent project of my darling niece Angel, I felt like her eyes kept drawing me to the peaceful beauty of her face.   Each line, each shadow gradually helped the wonder of her individuality shine.  I felt overwhelmed with love for this brilliant and shining daughter of God.


As I pondered on this, I wondered if Heavenly Father sees us the same way.

-Does He see our heart and souls shining out through our eyes as He gradually helps define us with each touch of light and darkness into our lives?

-Is His heart filled with love for us, even if He can only see an outline of what we are to become?

-Does He have the portrait of our potential in front of us so He knows what light and what shadows we need in our lives to bring our ultimate beauty and perfection to pass?  It made me think of a line in the movie "Jane Eyre" when Jane is instructing her pupil about drawing: "Remember the shadow is just as important as the light."  Oh, how true!  Our trials and sufferings truly help provide contrast to the light and peace we can feel in our lives.

I just came across this quote from President Uchtdorf:
God sees you not only as a mortal being on a small planet who lives for a brief season—He sees you as His child. He sees you as the being you are capable and designed to become. He wants you to know that you matter to Him.
May we ever believe, trust, and align our lives so that we will understand our true eternal worth and potential.

As I stare into those beautiful, hopeful, precious eyes of my Angel niece, I feel my Heavenly Father's love for me, He the master artist, lovingly sketching me into whom I can become.

1 comment:

  1. OH MY WORD!!! This is such a beautiful, touching post! What I needed to read today! You are SO incredibly talented - those drawings are amazing! My girls were in awe - they felt famous, to have such incredible drawings made of them! And I also love how you took the photo - with a stream of sunlight shining through! Love you!

    ReplyDelete