Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Integrity, painful but good!

I have been really looking at integrity this month.  It is the focus of our study this month, in conjunction with our general focus of society and the rules and laws that make it up...very relevant, wouldn't you say?  I mean, who doesn't want integrity as they deal with other people as well as from their government?

So, I have read a bunch of interesting articles and books to go with it that I would recommend:
-Pride and Prejudice
-Lord of the Flies (compare the two...an interesting look!)

-Personal integrity talk by Elder Worthlin
-Elder Anderson's talk about teaching with faith, hope, and charity

-"An Anatomy of Peace" by the Arbinger Institute (still working on it)

-Several of the selections on the link: https://www.lds.org/service/teaching-the-gospel/principles-and-methods-of-teaching?lang=eng

These articles and books have made me look at my government, my assumptions, my groups, and particular my teaching and my actions and how integrity plays a part in them.  It has been painful and powerful.

For instance, I had a conversation with a young man in our acting group.  He expressed his attitude that he doesn't enjoy things he is good at because they are boring.  So he only goes half way, figuratively speaking, to do them.  I told him that if we use our talents all the way, in a way that blesses and serves then often we find out that we are and become better than we think we were.  On the flip side, I know many people--one example in particular--where people have not used their talents (like in the parable!) and they end up losing it.  In the example I was thinking of, a woman of great talent, who used to sing in competitions as a youth.  However, as she has grown older, she has not shared it and has admitted to me that she has lost the gift.  So sad!

On the flip side, as a youth, I was only an average singer, but was inspired by my parents, my dad in particular, to sing in ward choirs and whenever I was asked to.  We sang weekly in church, at home, and on the road.  Over the years, as I have continued this tradition of music, I have noticed my voice steadily getting better, and, while it still can definitely improve, now my little Primary kids  say, "You should sing opera!" (Obviously, they have never heard a real opera singer :)!)

But the point is...I have been blessed as I have used my talent to serve.

Now, for the painful part.

We are singing a song in our choir.  One that reminds me of my dad's favorite songs (nothing personal, dad :)...), the ones that came out of the 60's and should have stayed there.  The ones with lots of gliss-y chords, old-fashioned combination of music and lyrics,...we all know which songs I am talking about :).  The ones the teenagers cringe to hear in Sacrament meeting...anyway.  Our choir director picked one (he actually reminds me a lot of my dad :), too!) and it is a doo-zy.  Quinn and I keep going, but the kids have dropped off.  I have not gone with the best heart or attitude.

As I sat slumped in my seat last week, going through the motions, the spirit whispered in my heart, "Are you singing your best to Me?"  I wasn't.  I was guilty as charged, hypocrite extraordinaire.  So I took a deep breath, raised my hand, and asked for help on the many parts that I hadn't applied myself to learning before.

And do you know what?  It felt good and as I sang, I felt my heart soften and feel joy as I sung.

***************

Another thing I have looked at is my methods in the classroom.  The link above about the classroom technique has really caused me to reflect on how I do things.  I am in a teaching position a lot...as a mom and as a mentor...and I talk way too much!  Anyway, like I said, things to work on!  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. "Songs from the sixties that should have stayed there" I think I know what yiu mean, but the ones from the sixties are not as bad as the ones from the forties and fifties. My tastes have also changed quite a bit so I know what you mean. I agree, though, about gritting your teeth and trying to sing or participate when you don't exactly agree with the choices and methods of the director.


    Thank you for your observations. It helps me to better see how to better fully use my talents.

    Also, I have always thought your voice was quite beautiful, though I do not doubt that it has gotten even better.

    ReplyDelete