Thursday, June 12, 2014

It is enough

So often, I run through my day like a chicken with it's head cut off, as if my frantic efforts to "do as much as possible" is going to somehow "save" me and my family.  Okay, maybe not "so often" but practically every day. It's sad.  I think I tell myself sometimes, subconsciously, at the end of the day: "Well, I may be worn out, but look at all I accomplished!"

I was struck by some things this morning as I was reading the account of Jesus washing his disciples' feet.  Please forgive my liberty with interpretting Peter's reactions, but they really hit home to me:

 Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.
 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray him;
 Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God;
 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.
 After that he poureth water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.
 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?
Peter is confused...why is his Lord and Master washing his very own, dirty feet?
 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.
"Trust me, Peter."
 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet...
"No!  You may be the Son of God, but I know best!"
...Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.
 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.
"Well, in that case, please wash all of me, because if washing my feet does that, surely to wash my whole body is better..."
 10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.
 11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.
 12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
 13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
 14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet.
"Trust me, to just do what I said and what I tell you to do is enough to save souls...including your own."
 15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
 16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
 17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.
Can I simply trust that the things the Lord is telling me to do--not the world, not the example of my amazing neighbors and friends, but the Lord--is enough to save myself and my family?   He even promises us happiness in the meanwhile!  I will try to listen to that still small voice, read my scriptures and pray, and then try to be content that what I do with that is enough and be happy.  Unfortunately, it is far to easy to become addicted to hollow accomplishments and busy-ness and feel disappointement and failure when we don't "do it all."

Alma 37:6 "By small and simple means shall great things come to pass..."

1 comment:

  1. Your writing still brings me to tears, even after many readings. Powerful stuff! Love you!

    ReplyDelete