Sunday, November 20, 2016

Which of Them Will Love Him Most?

I was just reading the account of the sinful woman who brings costly ointment to the Savior and washes his feet, with her hair and her tears.  I was touched by the interplay between the three in that room that are mentioned:  Christ, the Pharisee named Simon and the woman.  Simon has invited the Savior for supper and has no doubt made it a good one.  The woman comes in and Simon is disgusted probably not only that she is there, ruining his feast, but that the Savior would actually let her touch him.

Image result for image of sinful woman washing Christs feet
I think about the woman as Christ relates the following parable in Luke 7:
 41 There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred apence, and the other fifty.
 42 And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly aforgavethem both. bTell me therefore, which of them will love him most?
I feel like that woman, so desperately needing the forgiveness of the Lord and felt a kinship with that sinful woman.  I do love him, probably more especially because he has forgiven so much.

Then I wondered something more: do I ever look sideways at others who are seeking Christ the same way that Pharisee did?

Image result for image of mary and martha"I'm serving the Savior. And I am doing it the right way."
"That person is a sinner.  What are they doing here?"
"My offering is better.  What are they thinking by even trying?"

I wonder if that was part of the problem with Mary and Martha.  Yes, Martha is wonderful; I think we have all heard that.  But the truth of the situation is that Christ admonishes her and says that Mary has chosen the better part.    Perhaps it is because both Mary and the sinful woman were making it more about coming to the Savior and less focus on what their own offering was?  Perhaps both the Pharisee and Martha were thinking more about themselves and less about the Savior.  Maybe not.  The sinful woman was not necessarily listening but was serving just as Martha was.  Hmmmm...maybe I am falling into the same trap by judging Martha? :)
Image result for image of mary and martha
Maybe it all boils down to listening to what the Savior tells us in our hearts and not judging others for what they are doing in response to their own promptings: Martha was told to choose something better for doing something like what the sinful woman was doing.  Maybe that is the greater lesson...don't judge?

Seems like I have heard that one before :).

No comments:

Post a Comment