Sunday, December 25, 2016

Joyous Noel

My heart is so full this morning.  I have had a beautiful week with Quinn's parents visiting us.  It has been full of peace and joy and memories.  I am going to miss them so much when they go. It has been a perfect lead up to one of the most sacred nights of the year.

Yesterday, I woke up sick.  Laying in bed all day helped me evaluate my priorities on that day. I spent some special time wrapping presents in a bedroom with my dear second mother while we talked, laughed and cried together.    We spoke of the joy and magic of children rising on Christmas morning and the joy that comes from the process of giving and receiving gifts.

I went back to bed for a few hours and got up in time to watch a little bit of George C. Scott's "Christmas Carol."  We had finished reading the story from Dickens a week ago and had been looking forward to watching it.  Towards the end of the film, the missionaries came to our door.  We welcomed them in and decided stop the video and re-enact our traditional nativity right then so they could be a part of it.  We separated into parts, Grandpa was our narrator and we began.  Hava was a beautiful Mary and we had the manger right in front of our big pile of presents. The location was beautifully symbolic of the ultimate gift given that Christmas night so many years ago.

At the part where we read about the angels coming to the shepherds we played the world's largest Hallelujah Chorus, one of my all time favorites.
You could almost imagine seeing these people as the angels singing in praise and glory that night of the Savior's birth!

We finished up the nativity, sang some songs, closed with prayer. It was beautiful.  Hava told me later that night that the story hadn't been really that special to her until that night when she was able to be Mary.  "It was so beautiful, Mommy!  It is so special!"  Yes, sweetie, it was.

I laid back down soon after that, pretty weak from sickness still.  I was able to watch the kids one by one head to bed.  As Drew passed towards the end, he told me about a youtube video that captured the whole meaning of the night, Josh Groban's nativity video.

Merry Christmas and joyous new year,... new life because of what happened that sacred night so many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment