Wednesday, July 5, 2017

If God Really Loved Me...

I was reading in Matthew 4:1-11 this morning about the temptations of Christ and was struck by something.  Satan tries to convince the Savior that
-- if God really loved him, God would satisfy Christ's physical appetite
--if God really loved him, God would spare Christ adversity: "lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone."
--if God really loved him, God would bless Christ with prosperity, to which Christ replies that he has chosen riches of a different kind, the kind that come with worshiping God and putting him before the goal of wealth and power.
Image result for image sufferings of Christ

I hear echoes of this around me and in my own heart:
--if God really loved me, he would let me satisfy my physical cravings or instincts to my heart's content.
--if God really loved me, he would take away this trial or, even better!  Not let it happen.  Because, you know that He could if He wanted to, right? (This is an unfortunately murmuring familiar to my heart right now.)
--if God really loved me, I would have my financial goals accomplished because I am a genuinely good person, right? And isn't that the reward I should get?

If I listen within my heart, I hear this reply:
--because I love you, my child, I know that if you seek to satisfy your natural man instincts (food, lust, anger), they will lead you into bondage.
--because I love you, my child, I know you need this trial to be happier.  Trust me...what I have in store for you is only possible after this trial.  Please be patient.  Don't tempt me to remove it through my love for you and leave you where you are.
--do you love me, my child, more than your financial and other "success" goals?  Am I first in your heart and in your life?  Don't you know that what I have to share with you is so much more rewarding?


Image result for image love of Christ

Once again, I am so grateful for all my Elder Brother has to teach me.  I am grateful that He went through this life with us to show me a better way.  Even if I don't often live up to it.  

As Nephi tells us in 2 Nephi 31:20, our responsibility in this life is to love God, love others, press forward (keep trying!), feast on the words of Christ (scriptures, prayer, temple, church), and then...endure!  Or keep trying some more.  I guess I can keep trying :).

Felt prompted to include this...because God really does love us.  For us.  For who we are and not for what we have done or what we have become.


No comments:

Post a Comment