Saturday, October 28, 2017

Waiting, Waiting...

Waiting is for the birds
I hear them go "tweet, tweet"
I'd rather hold a baby
So soft and squishy sweet

So I walk and walk and walk some more
And do some cleaning too
Just waiting for this little one
To come and join our crew

Eleven other times I've had
This time that "never ends"
It just doesn't get easier
Each time we round this bend

Pretending not to care is hard...
My soul feels stretched so thin
As I feel the squirm and tight'ning
Of this world beneath my skin

Waiting, waiting, waiting...
I guess I'll wait some more
There really is not other choice;
'Least cuteness is in store!

This week I drove to the hospital thinking I might be in labor.  No, after 11 pregnancies I still don't know.

Another thing that hasn't changed after 11 blessed healthy deliveries is my sense of anticipation. I think it is a wonder that this process of birth never gets old. In fact, I have been thinking about how it has changed:
-my comprehension of how quickly they change, minute to minute, after they are born.  Those first moments are so precious!
-my appreciation of being front row seat to yet another amazing human being coming into physical existence, watching personality, lessons, successes, failures
-my understanding about how deep and comprehensive grace and God's love for my children is--that I can mess up pretty badly and somehow they still turn out pretty great
Many people already have these perspectives when first time parents.  Looking back so much has changed from my new parent perspective and I am grateful.

And super excited.

And disappointed when the contractions seem to do nothing. :(

And amused when people call me an "old hand."

I can only imagine how the anticipation grows and deepens as we begin to have children without number like our Father.  The faith in their ability--their inner genius--, the assurance of how love can endure the hardest of trials, the joy in their victories and discoveries.

1 comment: