Saturday, December 7, 2019

Struggling To Keep My Soul Off Silent Mode

This morning the kids and Quinn headed to the temple early, but because they were using the car, they didn't have our temple names that we had prepared (they were in the van).  When I realized this, I hurriedly called Quinn's phone to let them know I could drive and meet them with the names.  The kids had worked hard to find the names and it was so rewarding for them to be able to perform the baptisms for them!
Image result for image of someone driving in snow through windshield

Quinn didn't answer so I figured his phone was on silent and drove out anyway, repeatedly calling just in case the light from the call or something else would catch his attention and he would pick up.  I tried again and again to no avail.  Not really worried--but hoping he would pick up soonish--I kept driving and trying.

While I was doing this, I was listening to the talk "Spiritual Capacity" by Craig from the last general conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in October. It talked about a four step process that will help us do just that:
-the importance to set aside time to connect (and stick with it)
-act on inspiration
-be on the Lord's errand
-believe and trust (even if it seems weird or un-do-able)

I was pondering on the first: I struggle to be consistent in an appointment but try to slip in some time throughout each day.  The Spirit whispered: "Is it helping you really connect?" Great question.

Then I went to the second point and this is something I struggle with. I am super good at postponing or forgetting promptings through all the great distractions I have in my life that are also super good things...just not just what God inspired me to do.  The inspirations are usually small and slide easily into my list of to-do's for the day and often get buried. I am definitely not a quick responder!

As I tried to get ahold of Quinn, wishing he would pick up, I had a little connection: when God tries to get ahold of me, it is as if my phone is on silent.  He wants me to pick up and act even more than I wanted Quinn to pick up and receive my call.  Getting the names to the temple was important.  Even moreso, what God tells me to do every day is important and I could get a little picture of what it might feel like for me to keep on silent those things that God wants for me to do.

It took several tries, but Quinn picked up and we connected not too far out.  The names were able to get to the temple and I learned a beautiful little lesson.

I decided that I am going to try and make sure my soul is not on silent as often anymore :D.

No comments:

Post a Comment