Friday, August 18, 2023

The Skunks in our Lives

Crazy story: I was up at 5 am (not the craziest part) and noticed that the front porch light was on. Piper had heard Lucky (my parent's cat) meowing outside our windows. I took Lucky back over to my parent's house and walked around the back of the house to take him and his sister, Miracle, to where the food was. Guess who I saw? 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SSrvoBtdeEURErYc8

The cats wisely backed away and I tried to figure out how to scare away the happily feasting intruder while avoiding smelling "wonderful" for days. I decided to go into the house and try and scare it away safely from the other side of the glass patio doors, which worked.

I let the cats into the porch, closed it off and left them food and water. 

As I drove away, I thought about how sometimes the people around us (or we ourselves) are like skunks--with natural built-in responses that are less than desirable, probably developed in combination of childhood/teen environments and natural man weaknesses. Sometimes we need to consider how we handle them this way: recognizing that yes, we can trigger the proverbial "odor," but no, it's not necessarily because we are doing anything wrong. But we can take preventative measures and we can be respectful and creative in maneuvering solutions around it. But the skunk is still just a cute little animal trying to survive and protect itself. No reason to feel any animosity toward it...just wariness 😉. A little healthy wariness/awareness can go a long way to develop a viable relationship with the cute little skunks in our lives ❤.


No comments:

Post a Comment