Sunday, November 5, 2023

I can run again!

 Yesterday I got to start running again after six weeks of physical therapy.  Actually, it has been longer than that. I tore my meniscus apparently, and both my brother (who is a sports medicine doctor) and my doctor agreed on a treatment plan of a steroid injection into my knee and then physical therapy for ten weeks.  I have been doing the exercises faithfully--only missing two times, despite days spent traveling--and have noticed so much improvement. It has been long and slow, but the promise of not only moving without pain but also playing sports is a good motivation!

My brother gave me a specific plan and as I started doing them, I noticed that most of them had to do with my hips.  This was an additional blessing, because I had recently become aware that some of my physical problems were potentially linked to some kind of hip displacement that happens during and after childbearing.  And chances are, my hips are pretty displaced!  So my hips, my "sitting," my knee, and I realized even my back problems were all a part of this same problem...a problem that I finally have a solution for through these exercises. I love how connected my problems--and hence, my solution!-are.

Now, being consistent about these kind of exercises is NOT fun. I am pretty great at doing things off and on, things that are fun, and doing things that have immediate validation or reward. 

But as I ran my less than 2-mile, twenty minute route yesterday, it was worth it. 1,680 minutes for twenty minutes. And then twenty more and twenty more.  Because it has been way more minutes than that in which I didn't have the choice or ability to run. Or even go up and down stairs or even sit without pain.

Like the Gospel and so many other things, I like that life can be changed by little things. Little stretches. Little exercises. Small and simple.

And I also love that we sometime reap benefits that we don't even realize by doing the small and simple things that are so right for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment