Thursday, November 19, 2009

There was an old lady who swallowed...

I had a thought last night as I read "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly" to my children and initiated a little discussion. That old lady was continually consuming larger and larger animals in order to "take care of the problem". Now did she tackle that fatal horse right up front? Of course not! It would be to formidable! However, she gradually kept allowing the problem to get more and more out of hand, even in the face of reason.

It reminded me of my life, and how, sometimes, I feel that in order to solve that problem that is in front of me, or "fix" things or myself, I need to continually do more and more, bigger and better. What if I just digested the problem (aka the fly) and moved on with my life? Do we gradually fill our lives with bigger and bigger things, thinking, "oh, it’s just a little more time" or "oh, my children need just a little more....in their schedule" (you fill in the blank), until we are all ambling about awkwardly chasing that proverbial horse, determined to do "just one more thing"!

No comments:

Post a Comment