Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Through the weak things of the earth...

A couple days ago I came across this scripture, and it was so humbling:

&C 124: Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you, my servant Joseph Smith, I am well pleased with your aoffering and acknowledgments, which you have made; for unto this end have I raised you up, that I might show forth my bwisdom through the cweak things of the earth.

It struck me powerfully...God didn't "raise the prophet Joseph Smith up" so that He could use Joseph's talents, dazzle everyone with his abilities, or to put him forward as an example of all that is perfect and wonderful.  The Lord "raised him up" so that He could show forth His wisdom and His power to the earth...even calling attention to Joseph as a "weak thing."

It was very touching to me, who feels so weak and inadequate in this foreign land.  I can talk to almost no one, help almost no one but my family through the ways I am used to, and even them I am more limited in what I can do.  I feel very weak :).

However, this scripture brings me such joy and consolation.  God will take this weak thing, this Mary, and hopefully use me so that He may show forth His power and His wisdom.  It is not always our strengths that He uses, but sometimes those very weaknesses that are so obvious to us, so that He can do His wonders.

I am reminded of Enoch in the Book of Moses, whom people ridiculed for his slowness and stuttering of speech, who, through the power of God, did so many wonders.  I am reminded of Moses, who relied upon Aaron as his mouthpiece, such were his feelings of inadequacy of his ability to speak...and he, through God's grace and power, led a people to freedom from hundreds of years of slavery in one of the most powerful societies in the ancient world.

How much He can do!

 

3 comments:

  1. That is beautiful. Humbling. You are definitely an instrument in the Lord's hands, to so many. It is interesting how hard it can be to trust, to wait on the Lord, and trust Him. But, your opportunities will come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been watching the "Bees" and not this. You are one of the most opposite of weak women I know. Even currently from afar, your strength and faith are incredibly inspiring to me. If this is you in your weak state, I'm excited to see you when you're strong. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to see that too. :) But, seriously...unfortunately, when I "feel strong" is so often when I feel the most distant from God, and, ummmm, cold, for lack of a better word. I have found "my" greatest feelings of strength have always come when taking a step of faith, trusting Him, and "seeing His wonders" unfold through me(as it talks about in "Prince of Egypt"). It is just a little harder to see the wonders unfold here, I think :).

      In a room full of awesome youth that I love, you could feel the power and energy in the room as you stand up to teach, share, be taught, and bear witness of truth. It was like a wave that would wash out and back over me again and again--it was euphoric! I miss it so much it hurts at times, but know God well enough to know that the best is yet to come...right? :)

      Delete