Friday, February 1, 2013

Going along with my post about lesson to be learned again and again...

I came across this "I am Mormon"...well, my kids did for me...about a violinist who was anorexic (sp?).  She talks about being obsessed by constantly thinking about little things about food, that it was ruining her life and relationships, and that she had to retrain her thinking.

I found so much to relate to her in my own obsession of "best! best! best!" self.  Always thinking, "Is this the best thing I could be doing?"  It has truly become a debilitating problem.  Like she also said, the first thing is to recognize it, and then you are ready for help.  I need to retrain my thinking and I am glad that the Lord is able to do all things!  Cheerfully do what lies in my power and STAND STILL and smile :)!

 Along with that, and my follow-up post about "drops of awesome", it led me to another "ah-hah" I had during our devotional this morning. We also saw a mormon message about "Flecks of Gold", reminder that it is the little things of the gospel, added up, that make up our lives and are beautiful.  We need to not always be looking for those "huge nuggets of gold" so much that we miss the little things that matter most.

I am so grateful for a loving Father in Heaven who can bless me through my children, my husband, my friends and family!

5 comments:

  1. I think a key point she makes is when she says, "I realized I wasn't happy." When I have some "free time" (whatever that even means) and start thinking of all I could do right then, then I start putting it on the good, better, best scale and see if I "should" be doing those things. Sometimes I start to get uptight at myself for not letting myself just chill, but then think that if I'm going to chill, I would rather hide under a blanket with Madeleine and let her whisper sweet things to me and chill that way, instead of chill with a book that I might just enjoy for fun (for heaven's sake!). So I guess I need to start asking myself, am I happy the way things are?

    But there's only so much time, right? And a really big war to fight and make sure we're all awesome enough and strong enough to win that! Do I have time to "waste"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say go snuggle with Madeleine :). Maybe have the book along just in case she bails early and then you have a sweet hiding place where no one will find you :)!

      Delete
    2. "wasting time" is an interesting expression...I'd love to talk to you about that sometime :). We need a park day!

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking a lot about this lately too. Sometimes the best seems like it isn't the best to our worldly mind, but if we take the time to ask God what we should be doing, then we can feel peace knowing that it is the best, even if it wasn't in our plans or the most pressing thing on our list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true. I find the trick is being content with that.

      Delete