Sunday, August 23, 2015

What is your "mess of pottage"?

I remember reading about Esau and thinking, "How could you be so stupid?"

Image result for image of esau and jacob mess of pottageYou probably remember the story.  Esau is hungry and comes home, smells Jacob's pottage and asks for some.  Jacob says, "Sure, if you give me your birthright."  Esau makes the choice: eats the pottage and loses the birthright.

Now, I wasn't sure what "birthright" meant, but figured it was pretty important and have never really understood what could have possessed a grown man to trade off that birthright just to temporarily satisfy his stomach?

...until this morning.

Last week, per our stake leader's suggestion, we had a lesson as a family about how we could keep the Sabbath day holy.  We each took turns sharing how we were personally going to try and improve our Sabbath day worship to take advantage of the blessings God promises has for us.  You know, to make the Sabbath truly "a delight"! (see the book of Isaiah in the Bible)

I decided to get to bed earlier, rather than do my usual marathon of "see how much I can get done before I pass out around midnight" Saturday night routine.  10 pm.  I could do it, right?

Well, after a Saturday of painting two coats of primer on two rooms and cleaning and maintaining, I was ready for this break.  "No work for the rest of the night, except for getting ready for Sunday!" I announced to the relief of my kids around 6 pm.  Quinn wasn't back from scuba diving with his brother yet and I really wanted to spend some time with him, so I planned out to watch a movie with him and just start at 8.

Our evening moved forward as my evenings usual do...completely "behind" any kind of mental schedule I may ridiculously try to make happen :).  Baths, dinner, cleaning up after painting, promised date with Tova, family scriptures and prayer...bingo!  Time to put kids to bed!

Two hours later, the clock strikes 10 and we haven't started the movie yet.    My resolution floats around in my mind, reminding me of the promise as my evening progresses, but I rationalize:
-Quinn and I were going to do a date!
-I paid extra to have this movie (which was more than we normally pay for rental)

We watched the movie, spending some great time together with me finishing up some cookies for church the next day just in case we have choir practice with her "snack time" right before.  Bedtime was after midnight, resolution gone :).

The next morning, as I groggily struggled to awaken at 7 am to get ready for church, the phrase floated through my mind: "you sold your Sabbath for a mess of pottage."  My excuses the previous day were answered: "You could have planned the date earlier this week, and is $5 really worth not have that much better of a Sabbath?"

The Spirit had whispered to me the best way for me to honor the Sabbath better after I had asked the Lord to show me how.  The movie became my mess of pottage! I had traded something to satisfy me temporarily for something of more eternal worth.

Now, I am not beating myself up for watching a movie and staying up late, don't get me wrong! I know God loves me! I also know He probably chuckles and shakes His head as as He watches me ask for something and then not do anything He suggests in response.  I also recognize going on a date with my hubby is a good choice...I just could have done it earlier that week as well :).

This experience opened my eyes how easy it is to trade spiritual blessings for a temporal, temporary fix.  Apparently, I am not that different from Esau.

Like the saying goes, everyone can have eternal life...
there just has to be nothing else that they want more.
Image result for image of sunset

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I have been think lately what is my mess of pottage. So as I try to totally turn my heart to Christ what do I need to change. I have been afraid to ask for patience. Then yesterday we had a talk about mountains to climb. I think I'm ready to ask for any learning experience that will take off my rougher edges to feel more comfortable in my time before the judgement seat of our Heavenly Father. Being a missionary has strengthened my faith in the relationship between obedience and blessings. He truly loves us all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Patience is definitely one of the most challenging things I have prayed for. Dear mother, I don't know what kind of rough edges you may have, but you are certainly special and beloved to me!

      Delete
  2. A few weeks ago I totally sold mine for a cleaner house. I've had here and there Sundays when I realize the frontroom didn't get vacuumed, and it's hard for me to enjoy hanging out together with a nasty floor. I've even vacuumed late at night Saturday while people are in bed if I realize it, but too often it's been Sunday. But this few weeks ago, I didn't just notice the frontroom, but the steps were terrible, and I can't remember what else. A "what if the home teachers want to come today?" thought came, and it might as well have been Saturday for the cleaning I was doing. For a great guilt trip when all the talks were on the Sabbath Day. ;) I love how you related it to pottage. Maybe I just need to stop looking down on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your Sabbath Day thoughts and experiences, Mary, Shauna and Marni. It is marvelous that we have our whole lives to learn and share, to grow and to change. I'm so grateful for many years to see my way more clearly. I know the Lord sees the thoughts of our hearts and the efforts we make each day to become what He knows we can be. And still He welcomes us with open arms each time we turn to Him even when we are imperfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ladies are so wonderful and an inspiration to me! I completely agree, Aunt Mary Jeanne...He opens His arms and welcomes us even as He leads us to something higher. :)

    ReplyDelete