Saturday, February 6, 2016

A Prayer for Every One

Image result for image of silhouette of someone prayingSince watching "War Room" and trying to "fight my battles in prayer," I have approached prayer differently.  Before watching it (for some time!) when I knelt down to pray, for the most part I kind of glossed over my children, praying specifically for one or several at a time but generally doing a "and please help me be a good mom" or "please help my children get what they need and draw closer to Thee"...things like that.  However, since watching "War Room" and trying to make the effort to pray more for my children,  I have realized something that I previously believed deep down: I don't have time to pray individually for my children every day.

Wow.

How can I believe that?  Even as I knelt this morning, some names came to the forefront and I started with them.  As I finished the "more pressing issues," my lips started to form "...and please bless the rest of the kids" when I stopped myself.  Surely, even if I don't have all the time I would like to spend with each of them, surely I have time to mention each of them by name in prayer, their concerns, their needs?
Image result for image of mother praying

Of course, I know that there are times of quick prayers, prayers of different focus, etc.  And believe me, I do carry a prayer in my heart pretty much all the time.  Well, okay, sometimes the "prayer" sounds more like "where art thou? or "why me?" but I am quick to throw prayers up to heaven.

But to have a built in resistance to taking the time to pray aloud for each of my children when I have plenty of time to do so?

As I pushed past that resistence barrier this morning, I asked myself the question, "why?"  What is it that holds me back, that almost feels like physical resistance?  As I pondered in the midst of my prayer, I even asked, "How am I supposed to try and keep the needs of so many people in my mind at once?"  Perhaps it boils down to the doubt of my ability to meet the needs of my children on a fundamental level?  Whatever it is, it has made me think...and made me write.

Now, I know that I am a good mom for the most part :).  I have fun with my kids, sacrifice for them, laugh with them, love them.  I am not perfect and (again, for the most part) am okay with that.  Quinn, grandparents, friends, leaders, even their siblings and a whole bunch of God's grace make up for what I lack.  So why does it seem so overwhelming to try and consider them in prayer every morning or evening?


Image result for image of someone writing on a blank page
Maybe writing it down will help.  There is a homeschooling method which can be applied to all parenting, I am sure.  It is called "The Page."  Oliver and Rachel DeMille presented about it a year or so ago and what it involves is taking a blank page, putting your child's name on top and then brainstorming everything that child needs at the moment, where they are at, what you can do to help.  The DeMilles suggested this method as a powerful tool in mentoring your children. They suggest doing it once a week...perhaps on the Sabbath as you prepare for the rest of your week.

Then you look at the page and try to do what it says.


I am not perfect at this but maybe it is the answer to my problem of making sure I am being mindful of all my children.  I know that God is all-powerful and can see the needs of billions and trillions of individuals all at once.  I believe that He can make up for what I lack and send people or strength to my children...but how deeply do I believe that?

And why don't I take the time more to ponder on each child and pray specifically for them?  Do I really appreciate and comprehend the power of prayer?  It seems like a lot of work, but that tickles a memory that "prayer is a form of work." Wasn't that what it says in the Bible Dictionary?

Image result for image of mother prayingSo, if it takes work to raise children--washing, mending, feeding, nurturing--wouldn't praying for my children be the most effective and efficient form of work?  If I can spend a hour doing laundry or cleaning up bodily fluids to help a child, couldn't I spend 30 seconds thinking and praying about them?

Sometimes it is helpful to candidly analyze our limits, our barriers, our "walls" to see how solid they are.  My wall has been the wall of "I cannot possibly have time to pray over my children individually on a regular basis."   I am seeing lots of holes in this one!  Surely, as I carry a prayer in my heart daily, praying over them in the moment, that is effective.  Surely I can take a page (or even a portion of one) and spend a few minutes per child?  That is only half an hour of focused, conscientious mentoring and it has been something I have been able to look back upon during the week to see what I determined in that moment so it is fresh in my mind.

Maybe that is part of the key: writing things down.  My "War Room" wall has little sticky notes all over it (it is the side of my fridge).  When I first started, I just brainstormed.  Some of my kids weren't on there until I went through their names and thought, "What would a child feel like if their name wasn't being mentioned in their mother's prayers...and everyone else's were?" It was a chilling thought.  Immediately, I took the time to sit and ponder on each of my children, their needs and my goals for them.
It was an incredibly beautiful experience.

Now as I visit my prayer wall, it is as if the windows of heaven are opened and I can see my children as God sees them, the goals for who they will become, the goals of my dreams that they will feel loved, valued, the dreams that they will see the greatness inside of themselves that God and I see in them.  It is a beautiful reminder outside the moment of frustration, disappointment or perceived failure for me to step back and get some perspective and a new focus.  

Pray for them each every day?
  Do I have time for that?

Do I have time not to?
Image result for image of sword and prayer
Why can things seem so hard even when they are so right and seem so easy?  Good question :). I feel like my answer for now is to visit my "War Room wall" regularly for perspective, pray for those children who need extra "umph" as I feel I need to, carry little "arrow prayers of power" to shoot at children who need it during the day, and then try to be more consistent with my Sunday page.  Fighting our battles through prayer may take some sacrifice, strategy and planning in advance, but that is what war is, right?  That and recognizing the enemy and I think I have called Satan's bluff on this one.

I do have time to pray for my children.  All of them.  Every day.

5 comments:

  1. That is so powerful a concept, praying specifically for individuals, especially family. I have a long prayer list and name people individually, but often get so I just mention their names without spending much time or thought on that person. I need to do better. Thanks! You really are in my prayers. - Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dad :). That means a great deal. I completely agree!! I was just so often "running through the list" that I wasn't really thinking about them individually. It does make a difference, although I do believe God still honors the days when we are in a hurry and only mention people, determined to keep them in our hearts as we go about our day. Love you!

      Delete
  2. I would love to see a picture of your prayer wall!

    Reminds me of a chaotic day recently where I went to pay to ask what I could do to help have the spirit and more unity in our home. I had the impression to write each of them a quick note for them to find. So I did, just a quick few lines on a sticky note. I thought it was for them to feel good and that I love them, but most of the way through I realized it was as much (more?) for me, so I could take that time to think about them individually and "see" them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I posted that I realized I got autocorrected from pray to pay. But it is a cost, right? Beautifully, we always get more than what we pay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love BOTH of those thoughts. I got chills on the last one, Marni. That is a truth. Thanks for sharing; I agree!

      Delete