Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Trading Worrying for Praying

I used to feel that it took too much time to pray for all the people I care about in one prayer.  I would feel like my prayers were pretty long as they were (often full of "restful"--lol--intermissions) and I needed to "just get on with things," and that "God would take care of them."

This week, I was challenged to pray for my seminary students by name daily and I shrank. I thought, "I don't even pray for all of my kiddos by name every single day..."  Bad, I know.  I just rationalize that I think about them all day long and pray for strength and inspiration in general, and more specifically when things come up that are directly relevant.

The other morning I knelt down and thought, "I have some time.  I'll give it a go."  I started with my seminary kids, trying to think of each of them, what their strengths are, why I am grateful for them and struggles that I know that they might be having.  I thought about what they might want help with from my prayer.  It was mind-opening in a way that was quite honestly very different.

I was struggling though.  Just to stay in kneeling position and focus for that long already was kind of a stretch for me.  Crazy, eh?  But I told myself that if I could do it for each of my seminary kids, I should do it for my own kids. I really don't know how long that prayer ended up being. My knees were frankly pretty sore and it took some serious refocusing.  I included my dear husband, my ministering sisters and some of my extended family that have been on my mind.

And you know something?

That day, instead of worrying and wondering about the kids, the seminary youth and others as I am inclined to do, my mind was able to focus better and live in the moment instead of worrying about all the things that lie outside of my control.

It was as if I had traded worrying for praying and turning it over to God.  I'll take it.

2 comments:

  1. I've had this same thought (how do I pray for everyone I should, especially my family), including about a week ago. I had the thought, I wonder what Mary does? I've said it before - I think you just write this for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE your thoughts and dialogue! Sometimes it feels like I am casting my thoughts out to the void :D. I know that I am acting on inspiration and the worth of every soul is great! "Whenever 2 or 3 are gathered in my name, there I am in their midst." We make good company :D. Love you, Marni!

      Delete