Monday, March 22, 2021

The talk I would have given...

 Ever get to the last speaker in church and they say, "Wow!  This is going to be the shortest sacrament meeting in history!"  Different bishops handle it their own way.  Some speak themselves or ask a counselor to speak.  Some just end the meeting then.  And a few souls call on people to speak spontaneously or share their testimony.  





Now I respect that this is not common because most people would not enjoy this opportunity. 
Not I :D.
Whenever I hear words like those from the speaker I mentioned, I immediately start thinking, "What would I say?"






Well, this happened yesterday.  Contrary to his belief, the speaker filled the time, but I had time underlying his thoughts to prepare almost a dialogue with the two speakers and it would go something like this:





The first speaker today referred to a struggle she is having and she did so from a unique perspective.  She gave it as one who is going through a trial, not anticipating one nor having overcome one.  Her faith was beautiful as she said, "I hope that someday I will look back and see the purpose for this hard thing."
Her faith reminded me of a favorite quote from C.S. Lewis's "Screwtape Letters" in which two minions of the devil are working on discouraging a believer in God, whom they refer to as "The Enemy."







 

“Be not deceived, Wormwood, our cause is never more in jeopardy than when a human, no longer desiring but still intending to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe in which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys.”


 

To be able to move forward with this kind of faith is the kind of faith we will need in these times. It seems that over the past few weeks, everyone I have spoken with has been experiencing a whirlwind of trials or life in general, whether internal or external.
This ties into the second speaker's topic of having faith in turbulent times. He mentioned several times how we shouldn't count on life being easy...it "is what it is," I believe he said.  I not only heartily endorse that perspective but testify that this life is, in fact, a test.  It was Satan's plan that promised to be free from struggle, trial and opposition.  The battle rages on regarding who we will follow, God and His plan with all its trials and struggles or Satan's plan that promises ease and freedom from heartache, discouragement or hardship.


My hope is to give encouragement when life seems especially difficult and uncertain. For some of you, that time is now. If not, such a time will come.
That is not a gloomy view. It is realistic—yet optimistic—because of God’s purpose in the Creation of this world. That purpose was to give His children the opportunity to prove themselves able and willing to choose the right when it is hard. In so doing, their natures would be changed and they could become more like Him. He knew that would require unshakable faith in Him.--Elder Eyring, 10/20


Last night as I counseled with my 18 year old daughter, my mommy heart wanted to make her path easy and relaxed...to fix everything I could to make it easy.  I realized at that moment how much grit it took to be Heavenly Father.  To knowingly allow His children to struggle, knowing it would be for their good.  Could I do that?  Could I counsel her differently?  Could I parent differently?





This morning I heard a beautiful answer, also from Elder Eyring's talk from last fall:



Much of what I know came from my family. When I was about eight years old, my wise mother asked my brother and me to pull weeds with her in our family’s backyard garden. Now, that seems a simple task, but we lived in New Jersey. It rained often. The soil was heavy clay. The weeds grew faster than the vegetables.

I remember my frustration when the weeds broke off in my hands, their roots stuck firmly in the heavy mud. My mother and my brother were soon far ahead in their rows. The harder I tried, the more I fell behind.

“This is too hard!” I cried out.

Instead of giving sympathy, my mother smiled and said, “Oh, Hal, of course it’s hard. It’s supposed to be. Life is a test.”


Now, can I truly believe this....that is, ironically, my test for the moment :D. 










x

No comments:

Post a Comment