Saturday, October 8, 2011

"mommy" and the power of words

I went to an Relief Society meeting for my church a couple nights ago and had some time to catch up with an old friend. She is amazing, not the least reason being, even her 17 year old still calls her "mommy",...out of choice.

My first thought was, wow. Why? We talked about it, this term "mommy" and how my friend always wants to be mommy, to kiss away the hurts, to snuggle, to accept, to love. As I listened to her, I realized I was watching someone whose gift was to nurture on an intimate and deep level...a safe level.

So, I brought home this concept and shared it with my oldest daughter. "Wouldn't it be cool if I was soft, gentle, and loving enough to me called 'mommy'?" I said.

She, wonderful, was game to try, and it is amazing how challenging it has been to live up to that appellation of "mommy"! It is very different from "mom", from "mother", and far removed from "I hate you!" (my now 3 year olds favorite phrase lately...although, ironically, she says, "I hate you, mommy!").

And last night, confronted with a particular situation, I realized, I am not mommy, and I would have to do some major overhauls to become mommy.

Now, I know I love my children. I know they love me, and I know that I am trying hard to be a good mom and succeeding in many, many ways. I do realize that, so this isn't a "beat up me" session.

However, despite my appreciation of my friend's gift, I don't know that I will ever be worthy of..."mommy."

The power of a word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzgzim5m7oU&noredirect=1

1 comment:

  1. I just read my C.S. Lewis quote below: I think this "mommy" thing is one of those major interior remodeling jobs :)

    ReplyDelete