Thursday, March 29, 2012

Movies

I enjoyed "The Help"...the perspective of the south during the time of the Jim Crow laws.  I loved the way they portrayed the humanity of the African American women and the incredibly ridiculous mindset of the whites locked in prejudice.

I also just watched "North and South" last night with Quinn's sisters...a wonderful story from BBC that is soooo similar to "Pride and Prejudice", the A&E/BBC version, for any who loved that one. (In fact, Quinn stopped watching it because he thought it was too much the same and it was like he watched it before :).)  There are definitely similar themes--probably because it is based in England at a similar time--but I thought it was so very clean and well worth it.  It also helps describe a little of why and the how of unions...

Any others people like?

1 comment:

  1. We watched "The Help" last week and we thought it was well done. It made me a little sad, but it was balanced with some happy in there too. It's interesting to look at the absurdities of human nature sometimes... it also makes you wonder how we can be so absurd.

    I LOVE "North and South". It's one of the few movies that I liked even better than the book version. Actually, I think I liked the book better until the end - I really liked the end of the movie.

    ReplyDelete