Sunday, July 1, 2012

Balloons...

We have a tradition in our little family--every year, when we celebrate the birthday of my little boy Isaak in November, we make cards, attach them to helium balloons, and let them go to the sky, watching them until they disappear. (My sentimental side wins over my environmental side in this instance :)...)

Last night, at a birthday party for my awesome brother-in-law who just graduated and is here visiting on his way to Oregon, we had a bunch of black balloons out to celebrate.  Thinking of my little boy, I let one go, watching it until it disappeared. 

Now, I observed something as I did this...the point where it begins to be harder to see you have to really focus on where it is in order not to lose it.  And even then, some people can just see it longer than others.  As I sat there, watching it flicker in and out of my range of sight right there at the end, wishing I could see my Isaak again, I began thinking:  this visual acuity is symbolic of our spiritual "eyesight".  Some people can just see better than others spiritually, and some can see things all the way to "the other side."  They can see longer, clearer, and those of us who can't, come to trust them.

You also need to focus on what it is you want to see in order to really see it as long as possible, and as well as possible.  When we allow ourselves to be distracted watching things that aren't really as important, it is easier to lose sight of what it is we really want to see, like that tiny balloon at the edge of our sight.

Just a few thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment