Monday, July 16, 2012

Organizing every needful thing...

I just happened across another amazing passage of scripture...imagine that :).

In D&C 88, starting in verse 118, I was struck by a bunch of cool concepts:
-vs 118: I thought the way the verse started was interesting: "...as all have not faith..."  then "seek ye diligently," "teach one another words of wisdom," then "seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom."  It made me think of the powerful effects of faith, and how much we can truly learn just by exercising faith and belief.  It made me think about children, and their faith, and how we are to be like them. 
It made me think about faith as central to the whole learning process, and, thus, the Spirit, which is central to learning by faith.  We must feel the Spirit and exercise faith in what it teaches us to be truly taught by faith...which, apparently, is the most ideal way of learning. 
It makes me think about the prophet Joseph Smith and the huge difference in his level of learning at the beginning of his life verses the end of it.  I have read a bit of his "Lectures on Faith" (apparently more appropriately named than I first realized :)!), read his teachings to us in other places, read how we can only imagine how much God has to teach us.  With all my "education," I have a hard time understanding the sophistication of his concepts and terminology at times!  And all this learning happening within twenty years of constant persecution.  Learning by faith indeed!

-vs 119:
 aOrganize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a bhouse, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;
There is a quote I heard once that I wrote in the margin of this verse: "Every home is a house of learning, for good or otherwise." What is being learned in my home?
I also thought that this is a perfect verse to use to evaluate my home.  There is plenty to work on in that verse alone :).

-vs 122:
Appoint among yourselves a teacher, and let anot all be spokesmen at once; but let one speak at a time and let all listen unto his sayings, that when all have spoken that all may be bedified of all, and that every man may have an equal privilege.
This says it all :)...I think we are going to memorize this for our next verse at the table as a family each morning :).

vs. 124:
 124 Cease to be aidle; cease to be bunclean; cease to cfind fault one with another; cease to dsleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be einvigorated.
 I think it is interesting that this is spoken so directly and clearly; in particular, the parts about sleeping.   He doesn't say, "unless you have this problem" or "unless you are a night person."  Very directly he promises that our bodies and minds may be invigorated.  Of course, this may be relative, but I could use all the "invigoration" possible with this pregnant body :).

1 comment: