Friday, August 26, 2016

Parenting Lesson #9: Tantrums

Last night, I watched as my five year old screamed and rolled around in her bed, wadding all her blankets up impossibly after I told her to go to bed.

"I can't fix my blankets!!!!" she wailed, not stopping in her thrashing or her whining.

Softly, I told her, "If you just ask nicely for help, I would be happy to help you. I can't really help you if you are throwing a tantrum."  Kicking out she hurt her foot hard on the top of the bunk bed.

Unaffected, her tantrum continued as the Spirit opened the eyes of my understanding.  I am so often like this child, throwing a tantrum in my circumstances.  Heavenly Father is there patiently (and sometimes amusingly) waiting for me to stop and nicely ask for help.

I saw myself so clearly in the meaningless yet consuming emotion of whining and His role in my life.  Laughing ruefully, I shared my connection with my other children and we felt the truth of it.  Ouch.  I am quite the tantrum thrower.

Thanks for the lesson, my dear little Papaya. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment