Sunday, January 8, 2017

I think I am a Millenial...and that is not necessarily a good thing

This is one of the most insightful perspectives I have heard on the "Millenials"...and confirms many things I have studied and experienced myself. I am so guilty of fostering it, too! Ironically enough, it confirms my favorite book about Amish Parenting that teaches some very counter-culture parenting techniques, like "kids who are told they are awesome constantly and get awards for coming in last actually have lower self-esteems." Still trying to wrap my brain around this and how to show love and support without creating entitled kids. Anyway, food for thought.

Although I don't agree with his victimization of the Millenials. I think that is reinforcing the problem. Although his "no cell phones" policy would be good.



Soooooooooooo amazing. Eye-opening.
It explains why it was so hard to judge our family's game of "Chopped" last night. They just couldn't take getting chopped! Time to think about why I am parenting. And my personal addictions to social media.

2 comments:

  1. It was insightful. It hit too many tender spots for me too. Very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thought provoking is a good way to put it. There are a lot of painful truths in it but not all of it rings true to me. However, there were some things that I needed to hear in it, so I am grateful for the connection.

      Delete