Thursday, January 26, 2012

Basketball on the brain...

Tonight, I remember thinking something I wanted to write down and get your thoughts on, but, as I sit here in front of the computer, my mind went blank...then went to basketball...then (here's the stretch...)

Each week of my life is a new game, with a clean scoreboard, providing that I partake of the sacrament.  It may seem a small comparison unless you have played as much as I have.  There is something fresh and exciting about a new game, those zeros up there with all type of potential.  However, as you get to the end of the game, with the score 50-12 against you, you get bogged down and stop trying.  Then, next game, you get a fresh start and you try hard again.  Our weeks can be like that (or our lives)...bogging down, feeling like quitting...and then, you engage in that marvelous process called repentance, call upon the Lord and say, "hey, can I start over again?"

Love it.

I always try to think about Pres. Faust's comment about the sacrament.  It went something like: if we truly understood the significance of partaking of the sacrament, we would crawl on hands and knees to get there if we had to.  Seriously, some weeks it feels like hands and knees to me!  It gives me reassurance that, even if I don't hear any talks, at least I have done what is most important (not that I don't try to hear the talks; sometimes I have to pick between me being able to enjoy the talks and whether or not my neighbors can :)...I can tune them out when I need to :)...).

2 comments: