Friday, February 17, 2012

How to teach brilliant kids?

As we prepare to leave the country, I have been pondering how I can teach my teenagers who are taking off in their education.  There is no way I can read all that they read and still be a mom, let alone teach the younger ones.  I have prayed and pondered about the answer for a while, and, yesterday, I read this article in the Ensign that perfectly answered my question.

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/teaching-after-the-manner-of-the-spirit?lang=eng

Here are a couple of key quotes that stood out to me, for those who don't have the time to read the whole thing:

"While we are all teachers, we must fully realize that it is the Holy Ghost who is the real teacher and witness of all truth. Those who do not fully understand this either try to take over for the Holy Ghost and do everything themselves, politely invite the Spirit to be with them but only in a supporting role... All parents, leaders, and teachers have the responsibility to teach “by the Spirit.”

"...First, the Holy Ghost teaches individuals in a very personal way. This makes it possible for us to intimately know truth for ourselves. Because of our different needs, circumstances, and progression, the Holy Ghost teaches what we must know and do so we may become what we must be...

"...With the current conditions of the world, we desperately need real learning and teaching in our homes, meetings, and gospel classes. I know that your quest to improve may seem overwhelming at times. Please do not become discouraged with your progress. I think back on my experience hiking with my children (he shared this in the article). We agreed that every time we stopped to catch our breath, rather than focusing exclusively on how much farther we needed to go, we would immediately turn around and look down the mountain. We would take in the scenery and say to each other, “Look how far we’ve come.” Then we would take a deep breath, quickly turn, face uphill, and start climbing again one step at a time. Brothers and sisters, you can parent, lead, and teach after the manner of the workings of the Spirit. I know you can do this. I testify you can do this, and lives will change. "

This whole article reminded me of a conversation I had with a very wise friend about 7 years ago on the way to a TJEd conference.  The topic was mentors, and I was speculating aloud who my mentor would be who would take me where I needed to go.  She asked why I wanted a mentor...what specifically I was seeking for in them.   As I pondered this question, she said something like, "I think the only true mentor we need to turn to is God, and if we seek His direction, He will mentor us."  We went on to discuss how there are definitely people we meet who teach us specific things and can guide us in specific areas, but she counseled against leaning too heavily on any one mentor,..."they just don't know you and who you are and where you are at...only God does." 

Being reminded of this conversation, I realized that the very intense and personal mentoring I had experienced over the past five years from Heavenly Father could be experienced by my children, and that He could very specifically direct them as He has so specifically directed me: read this book, read this article, go to this class, don't finish this book--you've got what you needed out of it, talk to this person, write this down, share this, forward this article, stay home with your family--you don't need this one, etc.  It has been amazing, and always, always done quietly.  I have learned to trust this voice, this voice of my Perfect Mentor, even if I am not perfect yet at following it.  

However, unlike earthly mentors, He has limitless resources, time, knowledge, and personal acquaintance with me and the needs of my husband, family, and extended family and how my education can fit in with those responsibilities.  It has been amazing to see Him use this cracked pot (me :)...) create wonders and beauty that I have been able to stand back and see His hand in, even while fully aware of my weaknesses.   (I have also learned that He provides the water :)...see the "cracked pot parable".)

4 comments:

  1. You know Mary, I read all of your posts and even though I don't always comment, you give me some great insight and things to think about. I am so glad to have this chance to "pick your brain" even though I don't get to see you as often. Thank-you for taking the time to write. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking more about this teaching by the Spirit.

    As I was reading in 2 Nephi 5, I was impressed with all that Nephi taught his people:
    "13 And it came to pass that we began to prosper exceedingly, and to multiply in the land.

    "14 And I, Nephi, did take the sword of Laban, and after the manner of it did make many swords, lest by any means the people who were now called Lamanites should come upon us and destroy us...

    "15 And I did teach my people to build buildings, and to work in all manner of wood, and of iron, and of copper, and of brass, and of steel, and of gold, and of silver, and of precious ores, which were in great abundance.

    " 16 And I, Nephi, did abuild a temple; and I did construct it after the manner of the temple of Solomon save it were not built of so many precious things; for they were not to be found upon the land, wherefore, it could not be built like unto Solomon’s etemple. But the manner of the construction was like unto the temple of Solomon; and the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine."

    "17 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did cause my people to be industrious, and to blabor with their hands."

    Incredible!! Think of all the things he taught his people--and he didn't even have the internet :). I wondered...did Nephi learn to do all these things like he did the boat?

    "Well, Lord, I don't have tools (and let's not mention the fact that I have never built a boat before!), but show me where to go to get the tools and show me how to build a boat"...and it was an incredible boat! (Even his murmuring brothers acknowledged that fact!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Follow-up thought: In D&C 1, the Lord talks about all the amazing things the "weak and simple" of the earth are going to do, about the promises of learning that will come to those who seek:

    "26 And inasmuch as they sought wisdom they might be instructed;..

    "28 And inasmuch as they were humble they might be made strong, and blessed from on high, and receive knowledge from time to time."

    What the Lord requires is a willing heart and a humble spirit and an eagerness to learn...I can do that :)!

    Another thing that will be a bit more challenging to help my children learn by the spirit is to provide the environment for them to learn in. In my Relief Society meeting at church today we talked about the
    prophet Joseph Smith. I was impressed by the following quote that related to this truth: "It was easy for this young man to believe, because he had been born and reared in a believing houshold and when he went out into the woods...he believed that his prayer would be answered." (pg 35 of George Albert Smith manual)

    Do I have a "believing houshold"? Is it an environment where they can feel the spirit? Do my children believe that God can individually reveal to them what they must do to fulfill their missions? Do they love Him enough, know Him enough, trust Him enough and know how to receive, interpret and act upon personal revelation?

    With regards to the second question (sorry for the stream of consciousness of this, but I am in a hurry :)...), I was struck by a quote by Elaine S. Dalton's conference talk that I read this last week:

    "Fathers, you are the guardians of your homes, your wives, and your children. Today “it is not an easy thing to protect one’s family against intrusions of evil into [their] minds and spirits. … These influences can and do flow freely into the home. Satan [is very clever]. He need not break down the door.”4"

    It struck me...does Satan have to break down my door, or do I let him in easily? I asked the kids what they thought: is it easy for Satan's influence to be felt? Do we fight or criticize easily, or read or listen or watch to things that allow him to come in? How marvelous it was to picture him having to bang at our door to even be acknowledged in our lives--and that we could keep him out! We could make that choice! It has been a powerful visual in our lives this week.

    Wrap up thoughts:
    -The Lord CAN direct my children in their education through the guidance of the Spirit as He has mine in amazing, miraculous ways these past few years (and as He did for Nephi)
    -My job is to lead them to the Spirit, walk with them in their quest for truth, and do my utmost to provide an environment in the home where they can feel the influence of the Spirit if they choose to seek for it

    ReplyDelete