Sunday, February 5, 2012

It is better to look up...

It is interesting how bogged down we can get when we are looking down...or thinking too much about "me".  It has struck me this week that this is the big obstacle with me embracing what God wants me to do as a wife, mother, friend, and daughter.  I came across this cool quote today:

"Experience has taught me that if we, like President Monson, exercise our faith and look to God for help, we will not be overwhelmed with the burdens of life. We will not feel incapable of doing what we are called to do or need to do. We will be strengthened, and our lives will be filled with peace and joy.3 We will come to realize that most of what we worry about is not of eternal significance—and if it is, the Lord will help us. But we must have the faith to look up and the courage to follow His direction." (Elder Cook, Oct. 2011)

Most of what I worry about is not of eternal significance.  As I watch friends struggle through horrendous trials of truly eternal nature, I catch glimpses of how shallow some of my concerns are that I weigh myself down with.  I think a lot of this is due to pride, an inflated sense of worries and struggles in my life, many of which are created by myself :)...all of which can be affected by my attitude.  Awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Following quote: "Why is it a challenge to consistently look up in our lives? Perhaps we lack the faith that such a simple act can solve our problems. For example, when the children of Israel were bitten by poisonous serpents, Moses was commanded to raise up a brass serpent on a pole. The brass serpent represented Christ. Those who looked up at the serpent, as admonished by the prophet, were healed.4 But many others failed to look up, and they perished."

    ReplyDelete