Friday, November 2, 2012

"And the sun rises!"

One of my favorite moments in all the movies I have watched is when, trapped in Helm's Deep by hoards of evil creatures bent on destroying humankind, the King of the Rohirim (sp?) makes the critical decision to charge out to meet them, facing certain death.

He doesn't know what the end will be, but, inspired by Aragorn, he decides to meet it with courage.

As he charges out, calling out to his dispirited soldiers and sounding the battle horn in defiance of that evil, he sees the first rays of the sun, and says one of my favorite lines of all time...

"...and the sun rises!"

I have thought of that moment, that beautiful gift we are given each day that offers such hope to me.  I love the feeling of charging out to meet whatever overwhelming forces may lie before me..."and the sun rises."    I love the newness of each day, the lightening of soul that comes with those first precious rays of the sun, and the promise of hope that each day brings with it.

That line gives such hope and faith to me, and I cannot tell you how many times I have heard that clarion call in my head in the morning with the sunshine pouring through my window...  "and the sun rises!"

Now, I may have it worded wrong :), and the sequence of events in the movie a little askew, but it is the message of hope, strength, and courage that come with it that inspire me when the days can seem so dark or overwhelming.

And the sun rises!

1 comment:

  1. From my mom, I thought it was cool:
    "And I look forward to the day when "The Son rises!" Also I've missed too many sun rises since usually I'm at work before it comes up. Thanks for the thoughts. Missing you today!
    Mom"

    ReplyDelete