Sunday, November 4, 2012

Emotionally...done.

Been a hard day.

Not because of things around me...

The kids have been sweet and mindful. Quinn is, of course, wonderful and helpful.

It's just me. 

Emotionally tired, with no emotional reserve to meet anything...

A woman in my old ward once said that, if she was to be in a pioneer company, she would have wanted to cross the plains with me..."because you are so strong." ("Built for hard labor" as it says in "Ever After"...)  I just keep going.

And I do.  I keep going.  I feel the fruits of work, see the chaos that happens when I choose not to, and feel the joy of being "anxiously engaged."  However, I guess the events of the last week combined with just being 38 weeks along in a new country, trying to maintain has just finally sapped my reserves.  And, maybe it's just "my time of the month" :), eh, Quinn?  Sometimes, I get tired of being strong. :S

For instance, this morning, as we were lumbering quickly to church (well, I was lumbering), I thought, "There is no way I am going to run for a train today.   I will be an hour late to church...I just cannot make myself lumber any faster right now."  So what happens?  The train pulls up a few minutes early, and we get to hurry.  Fortunately, Quinn ran ahead and stalled his way on, so I could cross the tracks and get on. Without a fast lumber. Normally, I can just mentally push myself and do it.  Not today, apparently.

All through church, if anyone was slightly nice, the words to a hymn even remotely applicable to me, or, really, if a crayon fell on the floor and I felt too overwhelmed to pick it up, it seemed to open the floodgates of tears.  Awesome womanliness :).

During Sunday School, we talked about being like the Savior, and the teacher asked the question, "How can we be like Jesus?"  Of course, it was in Hungarian, so I wasn't going to reply aloud and disrupt the flow by having someone translate for me, but it made me think.  I came to the conclusion that, to truly be like Jesus, it is to find out the will of God and to do it.  Think of Gethsemane, and that poignant plea to heaven, "Let this cup pass,...nevertheless, not my will, but Thine be done..." Was there ever a more defining moment of the Savior's ministry than at that moment?

It made me think about bending my will to His, and how, sometimes, it is soooo hard.  But, just like Peter returning to his nets and being called back to the work of disciple, this life is truly a matter of making our wills coincide with His.  (See the amazing talk by Elder Holland at http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/10/the-first-great-commandment?lang=eng.  I love to listen to it, because his voice is so moving!)

But then, as I was thinking about how emotionally done I felt at that moment, the next verse in 3 Nephi 27 that caught my eye said something like, "whomsoever doeth this, shall be lifted up at the last day," and I realized...we don't lift ourselves up.  In a very real sense, I saw myself very literally being lifted up to meet my Maker, much like a babe in arms, a very imperfect, a very needy babe in arms, and brought to be with Him.  It is a totally dependent phrase, and reminds me of one of my favorite songs of all time,..."I can only imagine" by MercyMe.

I can only imagine

I know that this moment will pass, that my cup will be replenished.  I have experienced the calm after the storm before, and know it will come.  (The sun will rise, right :)?) However, in this moment, the words of "Where Can I Turn for Peace?" are such a comfort:

1. Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,
Searching my soul?

2. Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One.

3. He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind,
Love without end.
Text: Emma Lou Thayne, b. 1924. © 1973 IRI

It's amazing how much these words can reach us..in our reaching.  I am so grateful for the hymns, grateful for tears that cleanse, grateful for power naps,...

...but, truly, grateful for one who knows.

9 comments:

  1. I love you, Mary. Thank-you for your faithful, honest words. I wish I could be close and could come by to give you a hug and chat for a while. I'm sure your having some beautiful moments, but I'm sure it can get lonely and hard too. I was just reading about how whenever we make a decision from following a prompting, it is often accompanied by a "honeymoon" period where we feel great peace and love and then the Lord lets us come back to earth to experience life with this new spiritual stature - and it is hard because the opposition is allowed to equal our new spiritual stature, but as we commit ourselves to obedience to promptings with this increased opposition, we are lifted up to even greater spiritual heights, gifts and blessings.

    I was thinking about you this morning before I read your post. I was thinking about how you are one of those people who have committed yourself to obedience no matter what and how you have had extreme trials, but have proven you will stay true no matter what. I thought about how that is what made you such a powerful mentor and person to associate with. You are such a great example to me, I continue to learn from you even though you are far away - not just through your posts but from having had the chance to be in your inspiring presence and looking back on what I saw as I learn more spiritual truths.

    Love you, you and your family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen about the honeymoon period, but I don't know if I really wanted to hear about the "coming back to earth" part :S...*sigh*

      Delete
  2. As Anne would say, "a Jonah day". You have been in my thoughts this morning. I have been enjoying your Hungarian adventures and being amazed by your patience and enthusiasm in doing hard things. You have had so many miracles. My meg shared something in Vanguard last week that might apply. I have been reading a story book to the youth during the first of my class to get them ready to learn. The first book was about how everything can be seen as a math problem, The next months book was about how everything can be seen as a science experiment. This last week as they discussed the seven miracles that saved America she made the comment that everything can be seen as a miracle. You are a miracle! Your life, your adventure, your family, this new life inside you, each day is a new miracle....even if it is a hard miracle. I am grateful for your sharing your miracles, and the miracle it is to know you and your amazing family! May your miracles continue! I am blessed to have you as a miracle in my life.
    Thinking and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Meg of yours...what a miracle she is! Thanks for sharing :). It IS a happy thing to think of the miracle within me, as well as the miracles without. Thanks for the reminder :)!

      (I also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the part about how everything can be seen as a math problem. "Mary + Blog replies and support= Tender Mercies; Tender Mercies=Happiness; therefore (with law of substitution) Mary + Blog replies and support=Happiness"... LOVE IT :)!!)

      Delete
  3. Mary, you ARE beautiful and you ARE strong! You don't have to be solid and hold it all together all the time, you can let the Savior carry part of your load and lift you. I love how you compose your thoughts and share such deep, inspiring connections. You have done some pretty amazing things during this past year (it's only been a year since you moved!). Make sure to count those achievements and realize what you HAVE done! And, leave the crayon on the floor. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinn and I loved the part about the crayon on the floor; thanks for the lightening effect of humor :)...just one of the many things I love about your family!

      Delete
  4. Oh, how I love and miss you, dear, dear friends!! Your wisdom and words of reassurance have been a much needed balm, bringing on good, cleansing and healing tears. May God bless you for the emotional strength you have given me today. I will read these words again and again! I can feel your love across the miles...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, it really stinks when your worst is better than my best. :) That even on your bad days you are an inspiration.

    It's okay to take a break from perfection and just be almost perfect for a while. You're going to look back at all this someday and realize that you can do ANYTHING, because you can trust God to help you (even lumber quickly to a train in Hungary at 38 weeks pregnant). And even better, have the comfort of knowing that He trusts you to do His will, and can ask what He needs of you, knowing that you'll do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, honey :)...lol right here in Hungary and loving all you and your Marni-ness :)!

      Delete