Thursday, November 15, 2012

Stewardship thoughts

It has been an interesting thing, this renting business.  As I moved from one place to another, and have felt what I perceived as "limitations" in using other people's things, I have learned a great deal.

A little background: we bought some of our own plates and dishes, not to mention a microwave and some other bigger items, when we moved to our new rental house in Biatorbagy.  I felt relief the first time using them, feeling freedom from responsibility to others in caring for them (and replacing them, if needs be).

However, then the thought came, "but what of Quinn, who worked so hard to provide the money for this item...are you not beholden to him to take the best care you can of these things?"

And, then, I came across this scripture in my scripture reading this morning:

 D&C 136:27 Thou shalt be adiligent in bpreserving what thou hast, that thou mayest be a wise csteward; for it is the free gift of the Lord thy God, and thou art his steward.

As much as I felt chafed by this whole rental arrangement, it has helped me more fully feel what it means to be a steward over something, verses full ownership.  It has helped me realize that all the things I have are truly gifts of God, turned over to me for temporary stewardship, and I am accountable for my use (or misuse) of them.  As I clean up the house extra well, be more mindful of things that could break or be scratched by misuse, or try harder to keep markers out of Maia's reach :)...it has been cause for more reflection on my part.

Now, my mom has always taught me through example that people are more important than things.  As grandkids have accidentally broken things that are very precious to her, she has lovingly consoled the grandchild first, and then, if she has mourned, she has done it in private.  The child comes away knowing it was special to grandma, but they learn that they are more important to grandma than any object.

So how to balance this?  Right now, I am trying :) to lovingly teach responsibility to the kids, a respect for others and their things...not just "jumping through hoops to keep someone happy," like my first attitude was.  I think it has also shown me a principle behind this teaching--this principle of stewardship and accountability to the Lord who also loves us more than things, but also expects us to be "diligent in preserving" what we have, so that we can be "a wise steward."  And I always like it when I am acting on principle...it is more sure.

This whole concept is a little new to me, but has made me be more humble and more mindful of the care I take of things--from the brand-new microwave, to the holey, dirty socks that I am washing by hand and putting a little more effort into keeping nice and whiter.  Acting on principle is definitely more rewarding than out of grudging obligation, but I think I will have to continue to think about how to balance "stewardship" and "charity" in our house...

No comments:

Post a Comment