Thursday, November 8, 2012

Funny international item from my dad...

I got this from my dad, who saw it from his friend on Facebook.  I loved it and love the humor things like this (and people like Quinn!) do to brighten our days :)...enjoy!

"Mary,

I thought you would get a kick out of this. For a little background, John Halleck (a co-worker for many years from the Computer Center) lived a number of years in Greece, so he knows the language some.  Anyway, this is a recent posting he made on Facebook:

John Halleck
Yesterday, when leaving work, I encountered a very old frail Chinese man wearing a baseball cap. On the front it said "μολὼν λαβέ"
This is a very famous, very defiant Greek expression. When Persia asked the Spartans to lay down their arms, surrender, and give tribute, king Leonidas is claimed to have said this. The English translation is (more or less) "Come and take it!".

I asked the Chinese man if he know what it said. He said "No, is it French?".

Only in America."

No comments:

Post a Comment