Friday, May 3, 2013

Devotionals

A friend asked me what our devotionals look like. Because we have a wide range of ages, ours is a little varied.

Each child has a day, and they pick the things that have * next to them (or I do, if they don't get done in time to do it)
First we do a patriotic song where some of us march or dance around (more for the littles) and then we do the pledge (the song gets everyone there).
Then we do one or more of the following (typically 4 or 5):

-a story from the friend or New Era for us to read.  We discuss it.
-poem to share (like Shel Silverstein or more classical ones)
-story/article from the Book of Virtues
-mini-clips from Bible Videos, mormon channel things like "I am a Mormon," "Mormon Messages," "Homefront," etc.
-a song to end it
-a prayer by mom

We focus on a virtue a month (this month was faith in God).  The parts of the devotional I pick, I tie into the theme.

The purpose is like a spiritual shot in the arm to get us going, and keep faith and God in the picture.  I also have done memorization with them during this time (the Articles of Faith, for example).  We also go over the schedule for the day.

I feel like this is my time to share my testimony and for them to share things that are important to them.  We also get inspired by the messages on lds.org, and it gives me a chance to make sure my kids are being exposed consistently to inspiring people, poetry, and the church's lit.  It also give us a chance to remember our freedom that gives us the right to homeschool and worship.  Prayer is always essential to me, because in it, I pray specifically over our day and the activities we have, or concerns we have had as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment