Friday, May 10, 2013

Go and do, and see the joy!

This morning, once again in devotional, I was touched deeply by a video the Goob selected.  It portrays the situation surrounding Abraham being asked to sacrific Isaac on the altar.  It is on lds.org at http://www.lds.org/media-library/video/old-testament-visual-resources?lang=eng#2011-03-027-akedah-the-binding or click on the following video if it works for you.

It was so touching.  So personal.  I could feel Abraham's despair.  I could see the faith it took Isaac to let his father bind him for the sacrifice.

One part that stood out to me was a time in the film where Abraham implores God for a son.  God tells him to raise his eyes to the heavens:
16 And said, By myself have I asworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
 17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy aseed as the stars of the heaven, and as the bsand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the cgate of his enemies;
 18 And in thy aseed shall all the nations of the earth be bblessed; because thou hast cobeyed my voice.
Even though it seemed so crazy, Abraham was told that his seed would be innumerable.  And then he was asked to sacrifice his son, through whom was promised this same posterity!  Surely this would make the fulfillment of that promise impossible!

It made me think of the purpose of our lives according to 2 Nephi 2: Men are that they might have joy. God truly wants us to have joy, just like He wanted Abraham to have that seed without number.  The joy He wants us to have is beyond our comprehension. But, in order to get there, like with Abraham, we will have to just trust God and do some things that seem counter-intuitive...some things that just seem crazy.

Like homeschooling?

Like having lots of children?

Like coming to Hungary?

I have to say that many things in my life don't make sense when I set out to do what God asks, and heaven knows that I do it imperfectly, but I can look back and see the blessings.  Now I just need to keep trusting, right :)?

2 comments: