Sunday, September 14, 2014

Power of Germs, Power of Words

...which do we worry about more?...as individuals?...as society?

My thoughts about this question all began yesterday after listening to a short "insightful" study shared by a radio talk show host.  He went over all the many, many ways that we "share" in the workplace: something like it takes only 2 hours for a virus to spread through the whole office and how the break room is literally covered with germs...according to some study (and I am sure I can find several studies that validate this study, just as I can find a study to prove many things) :)


His conclusion: "You can use disinfectant and wash your hands as much as you can...

"...or you can just quit your job and try to work from home."

Really? Wow.  I guess that is one way to look at it.

Now, before I go on, my sister Tasha, a virologist PhD can give you all sorts of studies about the benefits of soap vs. antibacterial scrubs and how we are creating a super-bug by our obsession with "antibacterial everything."  I could also go into the concern studies like the one shared by the talk show host generates, because, let's face it, we all carry germs and we all carry bacteria and we all carry viruses--and, believe it or not, some varieties of each of these can actually be good for you. (I can find a study for you to prove it :), right?)

Now, I am all about cleanliness.  I am all about soap, but the issue of "anti-bacterial vs. not" is really not my point.

Whether we are self-proclaimed germophobes or ones who cautiously use antibacterial agents, I believe we can all consider the following:

Just like we all carry these micro-organisms that we cannot see that affect others for good or ill, I would say we all carry things we cannot see that affect others for good or ill to a far greater extent, and it isn't talked about nearly as often as germs.

Words.

Words and thoughts.

Have you ever thought about the effect of one little word?  One little careless thought expressed aloud? One little action that speaks volumes?

I am sure you have.   I believe we have all been blessed and hurt by the words and thoughts of others to a far greater extent than any germ or virus has ever done.  I believe the usual effect of a virus can range anywhere from one to two weeks...some much longer, granted.  The typical effect of many of the germs or bacteria we encounter is negligible or positive, but the bad ones affect us about the same as the viruses.  Some bacteria (for instance, the ones we need to live) stay with us forever.

Let's draw a comparison: what is the "typical effect" of words?  How have words changed your entire life?

-Have you ever heard someone say something incredibly rude and then "just kidding!", as though saying "just kidding!" could take away the sting?  What do you remember, the "just kidding!" or the sting?  And for how long? 
 
-How many times has one word of praise stuck with you and made you look at yourself in the mirror differently?

-How many times has that one voice of confidence been heard in your head to reassure you when others are doubting?

-How many times has one thoughtless (or intended) mean-spirited comment haunted you, affected you, or even completely changed you and your opinion of yourself, others, or the world around you?

Do we address the plague of unkind words, slights, snubs, judging, back-biting, gossipping with its paralyzing effect the way we do our war on germs?

What if we worried more about the words we are sharing verses the germs we are sharing in the workplace and home and tried to make it a place of positive "word organisms" instead of one filled with "deadly verbal toxins"?

Which war is more important to us? Which war should we concentrate our energies on fighting more? Do we even realize we are already engaged and affected by this contest between positive and negative words just as we are already engaged and affected by the world of germs and bacteria without even knowing it?  Do we allow our fears of one to affect our impact in the realm of the other? Do we touch the "untouchables" around us despite our fears of "infection," previous battle scars, or the possible negative outcome of rejection?

Personally, I am going to challenge myself that every time I go to wash my hands with my non-antibacterial soap (which is often!), I am going to try and remember what words, body language or gestures I need to wash away out of my life and which ones I need to start using.  We will wash our way to changing the world, one word, one gesture, one tender touch at a time.

I am going to try to become obsessed with kindness.  Join me!

Image result for image of kind person 

1 comment:

  1. It is interesting that you write about kindness today. I felt prompted to speak about kindness in Sacrament meeting today. I have been working on this talk for a few weeks, but it kept working towards the topic of kindness. A wonderful talk can be found by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin in the April 2005 conference. I used quite a bit from that talk as well as some from President Monson in the last conference. One thing interesting to note is that there is no word for kindness in German. In the translations of the talks, they use several words, most common are the combination of "güte" and "Freundlichkeit" which are goodness and friendliness. None of the words that are used really say Kind or Kindness in German, but I was able to get the idea across with a combination of words. The point however is how absolutely necessary it is for us to learn to be kind, mainly in our words. Thanks for the post. Sorry that my comment is so long. - Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete