Sunday, November 1, 2015

What is my work?

"I will give unto him a commandment that he shall do none other work, save he work which I shall command him."--2 Nephi 3:8
How often do we spend our days, busily looking sideways to compare our paths with those around us as some kind of "measure" of how we are doing?

How can we do that when they are doing their own work?  We cannot possibly do the same work as everyone else, so why do we use that as a measuring stick?

What is my work?  Hmmm...so fun to think about!  I can think about a bunch of things I wish it would include: fencing (the sport, not building ones in my yard :)...),...well.  Strange.  I guess that is my only "love" that has not fit in somehow or other during this "work of motherhood"!  

Maybe I just want more time to do all the little things I do get to do: art, reading, snuggling with cute kids, scrapbooking, spending time laughing with and loving my best friend Quinn, discussing, visiting, walking, playing basketball, traveling.  How wonderful that my work could include fantastic tidbits of all my loves!  How many hours have I spent wishing my "work" looked different!  The other day I was even watching Mormon Messages and all I could think about was how beautiful the lady's completed kitchen looked :).  Silly.  How easily Satan can get us distracted from what matters most.  

May I move forward and look at the work that is before me with joy and anticipation...and content.

3 comments:

  1. I needed this thought this morning. What a cool way of seeing it - little tid bits of stuff I love instead of constant interruptions from one thing to another. Who would want to do the same thing all day anyway. Even reading great books would get old after some time. Thanks for that beautiful insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, the crazy thing is that when I sat down to write this, I was prepared to make a list of things that I didn't get to do but wish I could! Fencing was the only thing that was not already a part of my life in one small way or another :). The power of writing is truly so clarifying! It made me grateful too, to arrive at an insight I wouldn't have if I hadn't started writing about it. I hope it can make me more grateful and have more ownership in what I do and feel less like a victim of circumstance.

      Although...I don't know. Do you think reading could really get old? :) We should try it.

      Delete
  2. What an eye opener! About the only thing I can think of is being able to visit my kids out of state! Love you!

    ReplyDelete