Monday, August 6, 2012

Heroes

Beautiful quotes from a book I am reading, "Circle of Quiet" by Madeleine L'Engle:
The common man lives within his capacity; he is probable as well as common; because of this he will choose the safe way. But mankind has progressed only when an uncommon man has done the improbable,  and often the impossible, has had the courage to go into the darkness, and has been willing, out of the nettle, danger, to pluck the flower, safety...
But this is the Age, among other things, of the Anti-hero.  This is the Age of Do-it-yourself; Do-it-yourself Oil Paintings; Just Follow the Numbers; Do-it-yourself Home Organ Lessons; Do-it-yourself Instant Culture.
But I can't do it myself.  I need a hero.  Sometimes, I have chosen pretty shoddy ones, as I have chosen faulty mirrors in which to see myself.  But a hero I must have.  A hero shows me what fallible man, despite and even with his faults, can do...
In looking towards a hero, we are less restricted and curtailed in our own lives.  A hero provides us with a point of reference...
All teachers [and parents!] must face the fact that they are potential points of reference.  The greatest challenge a teacher has to accept is the courage to be; if we are, we make mistakes; we say too much where we should have said nothing; we do not speak where a work might have made all the difference. If we are, we will make terrible errors. But we still have to have the courage to struggle on, trusting in our own points of reference to show us the way.
Amazing!  The courage to be! The need for heroes...

To anyone reading this, I would love to hear who your heroes are, your points of reference!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment