Saturday, August 11, 2012

Karate Kid and "Inspire not Require"

Growing up, I enjoyed watching the original "Karate Kid" with Mr. Miagee (sp?).  Something about the underdog mentored by a man wholly dedicated to his principles really intrigued me.

As I was cleaning up the kitchen tonight, I had half an ear out for the new version of this movie playing in my living room.  I saw this little "punk" kid doing repetitive, senseless motions...just because someone told him to.  Now, this kid didn't do it just for kicks--he wanted what the man had to offer to teach him.  He wanted it so much, he was willing to do things that didn't make sense, didn't seem worthwhile.

It made me think of my kids and their education and the power of the Thomas Jefferson Education principle, "inspire not require."  The basic concept of this is that, scholastically, you seek to inspire your children by exposing them to greatness--great ideas, great people--rather than "requiring" them to learn a set curriculum you place before them.  Inspiring is a lot of work.  Yet, tonight, I caught a glimpse of the power of it.

As I study, learn, make connections, create pieces of art, work on my music, get excited about history, math, and science, they see me exploring the world, learning, and making a difference.  I hear them say things like "I wish I could do that!" and "When can I be in your class, mommy?"  I see that young boy on "Karate Kid" putting in so much effort, time, sweat, and dedication to doing what his mentor tells him to do, knowing he can show him the way, and the power of "inspire not require" hits home...as well as it's sister-concept: "you not them" (work on your own education if you want your kids to work on their's...).

As I watched the mentoring in "Karate Kid," I caught a glimpse of my kids writing, practicing laborious, repetitive exercises in math, putting in the hard work of outlining, mapping, and "time-lining" history, wanting to be more physically fit, eating better, studying the scriptures, sacrificing for what is right...just because they wanted what I had, and wanted to be what I am or am becoming (or other people they can be mentored by, thankfully!).

Inspiring is definitely not the easy path, but how rewarding! that I can pursue things that God wants me to learn for my mission, and my kids can join me in that process.  When a person owns their own education, wants it for themselves and for the real fruits it has to offer, the learning curve spikes, and their reception and learning capacity is greatly enlarged.  That's the power of leadership education.

Funny, the strange places you can find truth. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment