Sunday, August 12, 2012

That "Mary-spunkiness"...

Tonight, I went to do temple work and had an interesting experience.

It is a very amazing spiritual experience, to attend the temple, and normally I just relish it.

However, tonight, I was informed at the desk that there had been a "change in policy" with how that temple did certain things with a change in that temple's presidency.  My first thought was "Really!  Isn't the spirit of the law more important than the letter of the law?  Which one is this serving?"  It was followed by a quick second, "Well, at least the Gospel is still true."

It made me think:
-I am soooo much like my little Hava, my stubborn 3 year old that is a mirror-image of Constance Contraire in "Mysterious Benedict Society" (the name captures the basic personality, for those who haven't read that delightful book).  I guess I cannot wonder where she gets it from :)!  Just don't tell me to jump through a hoop for convenience if it is not principle-based, or please share with me the principle so I can understand...and this tendency of mine is getting worse with age--to get riled up over "letter over spirit" of the law actions. (Don't get me started on the Salt Lake County Library System employees,...sorry, Mom :)!)

-This spunkiness is one reason that I was saved for the last days:  My sheer spunky passion for truth and doing what is right for the right reason.

-I am definitely not a member of my church because I am a follower, conformer, or "it is the easiest way." :)  I don't think conforming for the sake of conforming is within my make-up.

-What was the motivation for the change in policy?  To coerce conformity to an ideal of someone?  Then came the uncomfortable follow-up thought: How often do I do this kind of thing in my home-- "kind of" give someone their agency, while exercising huge powers of coercion and "consequences" to try and get them to do what I want them to do anyway?  Hmmmmm.....For an agency-passionate person, how do I allow for agency in my home?  Satan's plan of force and control vs. God's plan of painful agency...the war goes on, doesn't it :)?

I ended up having a marvelous night...I just learned and thought about concepts that I might not have expected to, coming into the evening :).

I also got to see my parents, who volunteer there on Saturdays, and Quinn got to read some Hungarian names...loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment