Friday, August 17, 2012

Trusting and Waiting on the Lord...a parable

I have been praying for faith to match my situation right now, and "happened" across this scripture in my morning study yesterday: (Doctrine & Covenants 101)

44 A certain anobleman had a spot of land, very choice; and he said unto his servants: Go ye unto my bvineyard, even upon this very choice piece of land, and plant twelve olive trees;
 45 And set awatchmen round about them, and build a tower, that one may overlook the land round about, to be a watchman upon the tower, that mine olive trees may not be broken down when the enemy shall come to spoil and take upon themselves the fruit of my vineyard.
 46 Now, the servants of the nobleman went and did as their lord commanded them, and planted the olive trees, and built a hedge round about, and set watchmen, and began to build a tower.
 47 And while they were yet laying the foundation thereof, they began to say among themselves: And what need hath my lord of this tower?
 So the master of the vineyard gives specific instructions, his servants begin to do it, and then they begin to question the why of it all.
 48 And consulted for a long time, saying among themselves: What need hath my lord of this tower, seeing this is a time of peace?
 49 Might not this money be given to the exchangers? For there is no need of these things.
 50 And while they were at variance one with another they became very aslothful, and they hearkened not unto the commandments of their lord.
 51 And the enemy came by night, and broke down the ahedge; and the servants of the nobleman arose and were affrighted, and fled; and the enemy destroyed their works, and broke down the olive trees.
What a terrible result from not faithfully, literally faith-fully, following seemingly obscure directions! So the Lord takes further steps:

 52 Now, behold, the nobleman, the lord of the avineyard, called upon his servants, and said unto them, Why! what is the cause of this great evil?
 53 Ought ye not to have done even as I commanded you, and—after ye had planted the vineyard, and built the hedge round about, and set watchmen upon the walls thereof—built the tower also, and set a awatchman upon the tower, and watched for my vineyard, and not have fallen asleep, lest the enemy should come upon you?
 54 And behold, the watchman upon the tower would have seen the enemy while he was yet afar off; and then ye could have made ready and kept the enemy from breaking down the hedge thereof, and saved my vineyard from the hands of the destroyer.
 55 And the lord of the vineyard said unto one of his aservants: Go and gather together the residue of my servants, and take ball the strength of mine house, which are my warriors, my young men, and they that are of middle age also among all my servants, who are the strength of mine house, save those only whom I have appointed to tarry;
 56 And go ye straightway unto the land of my vineyard, and redeem my vineyard; for it is mine; I have bought it with money.
 57 Therefore, get ye straightway unto my land; break down the awalls of mine enemies; throw down their tower, and scatter their watchmen.
 58 And inasmuch as they gather together against you, aavenge me of mine enemies, that by and by I may come with the residue of mine house and possess the land.
 Notice the difference between this servant and the others:

 59 And the servant said unto his lord: When shall these things be?  (Great Question)
 60 And he said unto his servant: When I will; (Hard Answer) go ye straightway, and do all things whatsoever I have commanded you;
 61 And this shall be my seal and ablessing upon you—a faithful and bwise steward in the midst of mine house, a cruler in my kingdom.
 62 And his servant went straightway, and did all things whatsoever his lord commanded him; and aafter many days all things were fulfilled.

"After many days," hmmmm?  How long did Elijah and the widow of Nain have to live off that cruse of oil and grain?  How long were the Jaredites blown upon the waters of the ocean?  How long was the trek across the United States for the early morning pioneers?  HowHow many years of Joseph Smith's life was spent in persecution?

May my faith be equal to the Lord's bidding...

No comments:

Post a Comment